August Meeting

News & upcoming events
Tim_Koles

August Meeting

Post by Tim_Koles »

Hi everyone,

Our first in person meeting in 18 months is scheduled for 2 weeks from now. This will be at our house in Glenn Dale and will be vaccine only. To be honest, when Viktor asked in early May I felt a bit more comfortable with it than I do now with delta's rise.

I wanted to check the temperature, so to speak, and see how everyone is feeling about this. My hope is that we will have good weather and can hang outside most of the time. The house will be open for the kitchen and bathrooms and to see my tanks although don't expect much. What other precautions would you like to see? I'm thinking masks while inside would probably be smart.

Due to an ongoing construction project, I have some parking back near the house but not as much as before. Depending on weather, we may be able to park in the grass along the right side of the drive way but if its too wet we may need to just park on the street and walk back. Carpooling would be helpful

Im also looking for a headcount so we know what to expect and buy food for. Basically thinking a cookout but that is the extent of the planning in this regard. We could also just order a stack of pizzas if that is preferred. Either way, what items do people plan to bring to share.

We are planning to start earlier around 12 and are open ended about the end. I have a fire pit I can set up if people are interested in sticking around.

We are planning on an auction so it may be helpful, if possible, to preview what you are planning to bring to include. I have pond plants as usual :lol:

Basically, comment below if you are coming or not, your thoughts on precautions, and what you are bringing.
Linus_Cello

Re: August Meeting

Post by Linus_Cello »

Not coming. Sorry you're too far with a toddler (unvaccinated as under 6) in tow.
halak

Post by halak »

I will be there provided that I make it back to the country, which I probably will (in three days). I support the idea of wearing masks while inside the house. I have no idea what I will bring as I have not seen my tanks in almost two months.
Viktor
Judi

Post by Judi »

I am comfortable coming if the meeting is primarily outside, less comfortable if it's inside (even if we're all vaccinated, it just feels a little more risky indoors if the group gets too large). Wearing masks while indoors seems prudent.

I expect to be there, but will probably re-evaluate if it looks like weather will force us indoors or if anything else substantially changes in the next week or so.

I have no idea what plants I will be bringing to the auction, but I will probably bring a couple tanks and stands (10 and 15 gallon).
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Not coming. Two kids under 12 who can't be vaccinated. Delta can be spread by vaccinated people who don't know they have it.
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

I'm all for having the meeting outside. I should be coming and I'm fully vaccinated and so are my boys, if they decide to come.

Definitely masks inside the house.

I'll have to check to see what's in my tanks. Just got back a couple of weeks ago after not being around for most of the summer, so I don't know what I'll be bringing yet.

Anyone want some Cuban Livebearers? I have pairs that I need to get rid of as they were prolific while I was gone. $5/pair.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
JLW

Post by JLW »

Oooh! I want some G. metalicus.

I think an outdoor meeting is just fine, provided everyone attending is vaccinated. If vaccination is not required for attendance, I don't think I'll come, whether it's indoors or outdoors, unless I'm permitted to bring a sumpitan and darts loaded with the vaccine. (Realistically, I'll probably choke to death trying to use it, but either way, this should be entertaining).
><>
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

JLW wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 pm Oooh! I want some G. metalicus.
How many pairs do you want?
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
Allen

Post by Allen »

I went to the Mid Atlantic Carnivorous Plant Society meeting recently and they mandated masks inside and a socially distanced lunch.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

BTW I'm looking for native plants if you have them and you're coming.

Sponsors