DIY CO2

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
keeperofthefish

DIY CO2

Post by keeperofthefish »

I have been using a Hagen DIY CO2 kit and have been buying the "activator and stabilizer packets" and using white sugar, as per the directions to get the fermentation going. But it occurs to me that this stuff is just yeast, right? Why then are there two packets, one of activator and one of stabilizer? Is there a better recipe out there for DIY fermentation that could save me some money--especially given this stuff only does the trick for about two weeks at a time? Thanks.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The "stabilizer" is the equivalent of baking soda. It buffers the pH and keeps the bacteria alive longer. Just use 1/2 tsp. yeast and 1/2 tsp. baking soda instead. Don't use the quick acting yeast though as it doesn't last as long.
keeperofthefish

Perfect! Thanks!
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Just use an 1/8th teaspoon of yeast in the Hagen bottle, it will last longer.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
keeperofthefish

Sean: And the same amount of baking soda, 1/8th teaspoon?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

SCMurphy wrote:Just use an 1/8th teaspoon of yeast in the Hagen bottle, it will last longer.
Ah yes, I'm a 2 Liter soda bottle man myself. At least I was at one time or another. I would think the 1/8 tsp of baking soda is fine.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

I didn't change the baking soda because 1/2 teaspoon was fine. Use any amount between 1/8 and 1/2 teaspoon in the Hagan bottle.
"したくさ" Sean

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Not to go slightly off topic, but does it really matter how much yeast / baking soda you start with? I always thought that the yeast mutiplied fast enough and got up to the maximum colony size (verses alcoholic content of the solution) that it didn't really make much of a difference how much you start with. Additionally, once it's started, you can just dump out your bottle, leaving only a little bit of the solution left in the bottom, refill, and go. No need to restart with the yeast/baking soda, as the yeast left in the bottom will start feeding off of the new sugar you add.

Is my thinking flawed here?
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Less yeast at the beginning slows down the CO2 production. Too much to start and the solution burns out faster. Just observations I've made.
"したくさ" Sean

RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

I do agree w/Sean's observation that high inoculum DIY bottles burn out faster, that lower yeast initial dosage seem to balance the brew out for a longer period.

I wish I still had lab access. It really should not be quite as simple as pictured on the boards. Yeast multiplies very fast. I have a strong suspicion that it is something to do with the rate of alcohol production and loss in and from the culture that hits the culture kinetics.

But in my lab days I used pressurized gas. When we used CO2/O2/N2 in the lab for the cell cultures there, what was the big deal with a small CO2 bottle at home? I have since recovered... :shock:
Where's the fish? Neptune

Sponsors