Interesting accidental observation - Co2

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Interesting accidental observation - Co2

Post by FishNChips »

I have a 55 gallon with Co2 and a fluval 504.

One day the piece that directs the water in the outtake tube fell off an all the water was going straight down, instead of out to the front of the tank (disturbing the surface).

I went to fix and happen to see my C02 drop checker, which is usually blueish/greenish and it was deep yellow. Without the surface water churn, the water was significantly more saturated with C02.

I guess this makes perfect sense and knew, generally that C02 and 02 dissipate with surface water disturbance, but didn't realize just how much.

In short, it seems I was wasting a lot of C02 that i didn't need to and lowered the outtake tube so there is less surface water churn.

Thoughts?

Thanks
P
DonkeyFish

Re: Interesting accidental observation - Co2

Post by DonkeyFish »

Congratulations! You've performed an experiment (accidentally) and come to the correct conclusion. :)

Surface disturbance can, and will, significantly diminish the CO2 levels in your water. And by the sound of it your diffuser is doing an excellent job if you were able to saturate to "deep yellow" on the drop checker. Or you were REALLY crankin' the bubble count!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

I feel like if you've got fish this kind of situation of "trying not to waste" CO2 by limiting surface disruption could go awry pretty quickly.
FishNChips
GWAPA Member

Post by FishNChips »

I definitely turned down the bubble rate and have checked the dropped checker more regularly; the latter is pretty imprecise.

Sponsors