H202

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
150EH

Re: H202

Post by 150EH »

Thanks, I'll have to check out all the links.
Sincerely,
Tim
tug

Post by tug »

I was going over my notes and found this, "At therapeutic levels (under 4ppm) there is negligible affect on established bio-filters, mulm or bio-films." (Biollante)
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Thanks, also I did read all of the articles and now I'm scared to use the PP in a stronger powder form but I might try it at some point, thanks again.

You know I didn't realize just how strong the H202 was until today while doing a couple of spot treatments, I made a applicator out of a 3/16 OD plastic tube so I could go deep without moving any water, so I used it under the substrate (AS) and when I came back to turn the filters on it had heaved up like there had been an earthquake and there were a lot dead snails floating on the surface.

Also the link to the Chemical Store was great.
Sincerely,
Tim
tug

Post by tug »

Your welcome for the links and thank you for sharing your experience using H2O2. It's been helpful. For spot treating areas H2O2 sounds easier to administer and a lot easier to get ahold of.

Something in your story about spot treating your tank reminded me of another H2O2 story. There was once a big white Tomcat. It would hang out where I worked. The cat had been there for years prior to my arival. And, from years of fighting dogs, other cats and wild animals it was scarred about the face and was missing most of what where once his ears. One day the cat comes in after a night of fighting with his head and face all scarred up and the guys are talking like it's time to take him to the animal hospital. Says someone, "Looks as if he needs some doctoring this time." Someone else walks over to the fridge, pulls out a bottle of H2O2 and dumps the bottle over the cats head. You couldn't see much of him through all of the fizzing but that cat went on to recover and live a happy life.

Being scared of KMnO4 is a good thing. One option might be to take a water sample from the tank and test it outside the tank. One of the links explains how that would be done. As far as the KMnO4 powder, it's only dangerous if you fail to heed the warnings. I became less frightened after mixing dips for plants and such outside my tank. Nice that it can be mixed according to need. It is slightly exothermic but I have thus far avoided melting, burning or killing anyone or anything - no explosions. I might even be willing to part with some of mine. I still have plenty left.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
jweis

Post by jweis »

H202 is indeed a miracle worker. I pour it on all of my kids and animals wounds. It is also great to get blood out of clothing.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.

Sponsors