Nano stinks

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
B Considine

Nano stinks

Post by B Considine »

Drained out almost all the water yesterday, to accommodate planting. Aquasoil literally reeked. Not the damp soil smell, but a dead fish smell (no fish in tank yet).

Plants are rooting well, even if new leaf growth is slow.

Is this normal?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Stinky? Not normal!
Balthamos

Post by Balthamos »

I didn't notice any background information regarding your problem. Is this a condition in a new Nano or an established one? What's the tank size? How long has it been up and running? What type of soil are you using? Any signs of decomposition in the plants? What are your water conditions? Is the tank fully cycled? How have you cycled it (using what method)?

I planted a 24 G Aquapod a month and a half ago with Amano Amazonia, 2" deep and a nice assortment of large plants. The water has a greenish tint that hasn't gone away even with numerous water changes. The tint is not algae produced. Jeff, the US distributor for Amano tells me that it's perfectly normal and that the water will clear over time. I also notice a smell in the water, not like dead fish, but something like a musty earthy aroma.

The tank is otherwise healthy with four Tiger Barbs. The plants are growing extremely well, even a little too fast. I'm injecting CO2 using a cylinder, regulator and a pollen glass. My water conditions remain stable (ph 7.0, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are zero, phosphates are zero, though the temperature is running a little too high--about 80-82 degrees, but that's a problem with the Aquapod--too much heat production within an enclosed space). There's nothing I can do about it without adding a chiller. I've tried everything else.

I don't know if anything I've described is like your own situation. I'm offering it hoping that something will be of use.

Mark
Living near the water is almost as good as living in the water!
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Mark,

This is a new nano (2.5 gal), set up approximately 3 weeks ago. I've been doing regular partial water changes (every 3 or 4 days) and 2 complete water changes, to facilitate planting. Until this time, I've gotten the good "earthy" smell. This time, however, it was "fishy". Had the water checked at a local store, and all parameters were good, except hardness, which was extremely low.

As noted in my initial post, plants are rooting well, but not really producing any new leaves. Only "animals" in the tank are little copepods and a couple of very small snails. Plants include blyxa, downoi, R. indica, and some sort of ground cover I got at last month's auction (feel free to step in here, Ghazanfar). Plant roots are nice and white; no signs of decay. Nothing is or has melted.

Water had a yellowish tint until this last change. It's been clear for a couple of days now, so I think that aspect has run its course.

Mind you, the tank when full does not smell bad. It was only when I drained the water down to the Aquasoil level that the odor erupted. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was something anaerobic, but I can't see how any substrate could go bad in 3 weeks.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Substrates are anoxic within 72 hours of flooding. All substrates have anaerobic processes going on. Three weeks is enough time for the bacteria to build up to a point of producing noticeable byproducts, methane or sulphur dioxide. When the plants start to really root and inject some oxygen to the substrate the anoxic areas will start to do what they are supposed to do, expand and contract with the day. You can help for now by gently probing the substrate with your tweezers to allow some water exchange and draw some dissolved oxygen into the substrate.

You probably got some HC if it was G's foreground plant.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Thanks for the insight, Sean. I guess I was associating anaerobic solely with old, compacted substrate. So, as the plant roots get established, it will help with this situation? Would it be a matter of not planting heavily enough at the outset?

Actually, I got 3 carpet plants in that grab bag from Ghazanfar. One is extremely small, so I wedged it between some rocks. The other is slightly larger and spreads by runners. Whaever it is, it's starting to take off. The 3rd is E. tenellus, which I have floating in my 5.5 until I can figure out where I want to put it.

Isn't there now an Amazonia 2 with minty fresh scent?
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

B Considine wrote:Isn't there now an Amazonia 2 with minty fresh scent?
Yes but the fish really dislike all the Scope or Listerine that is floating around.

Sponsors