Amano sands and aqua soils

Nutrients, fertilization, substrates etc
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Jeff120 wrote:And whats up with the OTHER substrates needing replaced? I dont thing that is true at all.
Yeah, if anything, the "other" substrates get better with time because of all the mulm and ferts that settle in.
Balthamos

Post by Balthamos »

Okay, this is totally not-serious, but I don't think I'll ever have to worry about transplanting things in my tank. Heck, I can't keep the stuff in the substrate as it is! It's always popping out on its own and floating to the top of the tank. Gosh darn it! I keep trying to follow the directions I have in my aquatic plants encyclopedia, but the blasted sprouts won't stay put! Hehe, I'd like to blame it on the Flora Base but I know it's just me!

Okay, now serious. I don't think I'm going to break down either of my tanks quite yet even if we do a group order of Amano. I'll certainly get in on a group buy, but then I'd store it for at least a year until my plants are larger, I've gotten a better handle on raising them, and I have a better idea how I want them to look when I do redo the setup. Next time I'm definitely going to put in a piece of driftwood. This time I only have rock. It looks okay for a first attempt, but nothing I'd brag about. I'll keep seeking out advice, reading reliable materials and thinking about what I want to do next time. For now my fish can enjoy their aquatic homes without my big, clumsy hands pulling everything apart again!

Perhaps by next year I'll have my own opinions about PS.

Mark
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Do you have a pair of sharp pointed tweezers to plant with?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

It's always popping out on its own and floating to the top of the tank.
Also, do you have any bottom feeders in your tank, such as clown loaches, cories, etc? Or perhaps any fish that like to move the subtrate around?

Lastly, how thick is your current substrate? Generally, I use at least 3" in the front, and 4-6" in the background. Then when I plant my stem plants, I jam them all the way to the bottom, using some of the lower leaves as anchors. Rooted plants, I usually drag horizontally across and down into the substrate (by the roots) so that the roots are secured.
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

I have to agree with Jeff120 on the bit about replacing substrates periodically. Substrates are or should be of indefinite use, requiring some upkeep periodically, but replcement rarely or never unless it is just personal choice for different "look".
Where's the fish? Neptune
Balthamos

Post by Balthamos »

Actually my first planted tank only has six Black Phantom Tetras and two Dalmation fish. The younger Tetras tend to swim down among the young plants, probably because the oldest Tetra chases them around the tank whenever they come up toward the surface. None are distrubing the plants that I can tell. Yes, I do have three tools I've been using. A long pair of tank tweezers, a soil flatener (with small and wide heads) and a pair of long scizzors for trimming the plants. I suppose that my problems stem from my inexperience. I also haven't been able to watch anyone else do it. I just read from a book and then tried it myself. The plants with the longest roots cause me the most problems. I'll try Kris' suggestion of dragging them horizontally across and down into the substrate if they pop up again. It happened today with one plant that had a runner, so I replanted the larger and tried my best to nudge the smaller into the soil and then I moved some soil around to try to make them a little more secure. Because this is my first planted tank I deliberately stayed away from fish that might disturb the plants, like the bottom feeders or diggers.

I wonder if I have enough substrate though. I took the recommendation of the man who sold me the stuff. I have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in the front and about 2 to 2 1/4 inches in the back. Seems like plenty to get the plants in, but maybe again I'm in error. :shock:

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, does anyone know anything about the behavior patterns of Black Phantom Tetras? I notice that two or three will sometimes face off (at least that's what it looks like), holding themselves still and horizontal to each other and fanning out their dorsals, ventrals, and anal fins. It's quite an entertaining show to watch and they are so beautiful when they display their fins this way. Does anyone know if this is actually an aggressive gesture or does it mean something else?

Mark
Living near the water is almost as good as living in the water!
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

It's typical 'male showing off' behavoir between the tetras...displaying is what it's called. That's the best time to take a picture of a tetra. The only time they keep still.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

Sounds like your substrate is not deep enough but that also depends on what you are planting in it.

Rob
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-

Sponsors