Aquarium "Life Hacks"

Why buy when you can DIY?
plant57va

Re: Aquarium "Life Hacks"

Post by plant57va »

For those who have herbivores in their tanks and want to feed zucchini, and don;'t want to spend big bucks on pleco feeders or the like, here is a great
diy way to make a pleco feeder.
I buy a pack of those "stick on"zinc plated hooks that you can buy at the box stores... you know the ones that use a self adhesive tab that sticks on your wall but doesn't peel off paint when you remove them.. (keep the adhesive strips for something else, you don't need them for this project)
I take a clay tile or glass tile (I buy a small sheet of the tiles used to put around kitchen or bathrooms, they are about 1"x1" and have a mesh backing.
pull off one of the tiles, and glue the "hook" onto the tile with silicone.

I like this because you can hook the piece of veggie onto the hook and drop it into the tank.... when the food is gone, you can simply hook onto the little hook with a net handle and pull it out of your tank.... easy peasy.....

the pack of hooks(6-8) work out to about $5.00 and the tiles, maybe $5 for (there are probably several dozen on a sheet)
so total with a dab of silicone the project works out to about $1 each..
I have yet to have one rust to the point where I can't use it... I have used these for a few years
Attachments
20150205_103730_std.jpg
20150205_103730_std.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
20150205_103220_std.jpg
20150205_103220_std.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
tug

Post by tug »

Nice. I like the angle it keeps the food too.

How about something I do to turn down the air going to a small corner filter.
Too keep the air pump from overheating, I use a double gang valve set very low, about 1bps - 24/7.

The air valve to the corner filter is almost closed but the back pressure is released by opening the other valve and adjusting them both.
Regulate air stones in the same way and prolong the life of the air pump.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
plant57va

Post by plant57va »

Yeah, and when I'm feeding young hervivores, I usually cut the slice of zucchini fairly thin and I use a couple plant weights poked through the veggie and it keeps the thin slice down flat at the bottom
tug

Post by tug »

DIY Bulkhead Hack
This idea came from another DIY CO2 fanatic. Finding a way to attach an air hose that's inexpensive and provides a mechanical seal where the hose attaches to the yeast generator, i.e., the bottle cap.

I've used 1/8" Fourmost Bulkhead Fittings from a hobby shop but I found another idea that is truly in the spirit of DIY projects.

Use a check valve or the hose connectors that come with disposable airstones. You can also take an old airstone and repurpose for this DIY by crushing the old ceramics off of the hose connector.

Run air hose into the opening of the cap and the airstone connector into the hose, through the cap from the other side. You now have a mechanical seal by pressing the hose tight against the opening in the cap.

Fourmost Bulkhead Fitting-Large
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XG851&P=ML
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

Tip# 23 Python storage

I use an old laundry basket to hold my 50 foot python water siphon. I drew arrows on it so I would remember to coil it the same direction every time. If you coil them the same way every time they get a memory for it and It makes it go a lot faster. After it's coiled I throw all my accessories (gravel vac, clamp, water diffuser) in the bottom. I coil the python nozzle end first so the part that attaches to the sink goes in last. When it's time to do a water change I attach it to the sink and walk the laundry basket over to the tank uncoiling as I go. When I get to the tank all my accessories are right there.
Attachments
20150122_172831.jpg
20150122_172831.jpg (179.73 KiB) Viewed 9890 times
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Tip #87: Super Glue

Traditionally, plants are tied to rocks/wood using some thread/fish lining, hair net, etc. A recent popular technique have been to use Super Glue instead. I've had good luck with the Gorilla Glue GEL, but if you prefer products specifically made for the aquarium, Seachem just released a product.

To use, simply dab a small amount (don't use too much, as it will show as white crystals underwater) on the wood/rock, and press the plant/moss to it. Allow to dry before exposing to water, typically just a few seconds/minutes.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Kris, I've been using that trick for years! The part where you superglue often dies, but by the time it has died and broken up, the plant is attached to the wood.
><>
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

IIRC, cyanoacryilate glues immediately plasticize balsa wood and are accelerated by moisture in doing that. [referencing my RC sailplane neurons...)

Our plants of course are similar and I would expect areas which are hit by the CA are likewise affected subject to the amount of penetration of the glue. Gel may not penetrate to the same extent.

jim (too many hobbies...)
tug

DIY Post Trim Turbo Surface Skimmer.

Post by tug »

Ghazanfars' DIY Post Trim Turbo Surface Skimmer.
Great idea he found while skimming an old Aquajournal.
http://www.gwapa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2098
Ghazanfar Ghori wrote: Parts needed:
Powerhead
Bottle
Filter foam

GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

Tip# 31 Cheap grow dome

If you don't have a hydroponics store near by you can use a sterilite container flipped upside down to make a grow dome. The one in the pictures cost me 3 bucks. The "pots" are yogurt containers and plastic cups. Place the whole thing in the window for a cheap and easy emersed plant set up.
Attachments
EZ.jpg
EZ.jpg (141.21 KiB) Viewed 9740 times

Sponsors