Eugen - did you see this!

Why buy when you can DIY?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Eugen - did you see this!

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/tech/rasp ... hpt=hp_bn6

The tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer went on sale today, crashing its distributors' websites on the way to selling out within hours of launch.

..We’ve been working hard at cost reduction over the last few months, and we’ve been able to make one significant change to the Raspberry Pi lineup. The $25 Model A has been reworked to include 256MB of RAM – double what we were originally planning to offer – and will be going into production immediately.

I can hear Eugens brain churning away!
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

krisw
Site Admin

Re: Eugen - did you see this!

Post by krisw »

Looks very cool!
150EH

Post by 150EH »

That does look pretty cool!
Sincerely,
Tim
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

Yes thank you,
I have been following RaspberryPi for almost a year now . It is the perfect controller for many automation projects.
The closest one that is currently available is the BeagleBone board ( but it is about 90$).
I should be getting a RaspberryPI board sometimes soon through some Nokia-QT sponsorship that I got , but the launch of the RaspberryPI was a little fuzzy so the details are to come.

Eugen
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Yeah, Richard (my hubby) has been following this too. We plan on using one in the future to use for our X-10 light modules to control lighting in the house.

Richard also told me that a really cool part about this computer is that the profits from the sales will be going to charity.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
sns26

Post by sns26 »

Eugen, how much would I have to learn to use one of these to make a 0-10v output timer system that ramps up and down to simulate sunrise/sunset. Is this easier/harder/same as Arduino programming?
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

Both the arduino or the RaspberryPI will output analog voltages on the analog output pins, but it might be in the lower ranges (0-3V), and you will need some extra circuitry to convert to 0-10v. Should be easily doable ( and it will be the the same for the arduino as for the RaspberryPI). If you just want a fixed timer, the arduino or and MSP430 (low powered simple microcontrollers) will be more than enough. If you want a full computer with networking for remote access and such and almost unlimited capabilities go with RaspbPI.
The difference : the RaspberryPI is a much more complex system and figuring out on your own how to initialize some of the subsystems ( like setting some outputs to act as digital to analog converters) might be a pretty complex task to do ( compiling linux kernel modules, understanding the ARM architecture initialization and such ). Hopefully someone else will figure out some of that functionality for you once it becomes readily available.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

So when are we getting into the automated aquarium business? GWAPA certainly has the knowledge base.
I can see it now. Do you want fully automated lighting? Buy the GWAPA-1. Automated water change system? Get the GWAPA-2. completely automate your aquarium? The GWAPA-3 is for you!

Cheers.
Jim
eleontie

Post by eleontie »

The only thing left to be invented is how to wirelessly fill/empty in the tanks to avoid that pesky plumbing issue and we are all set !
neturalist

Post by neturalist »

"wireless" fill/empty can be achieved using dehumidifier to capture H2O from air to fill and using a heater to "steam" the water to empty. The solids in the water can be dissolved naturally using plants, etc, and an automatic dosing device can control water parameters. If anyone files for patent, I said it here first. ;)

Sponsors