Auto Water changes

Why buy when you can DIY?
Jim Miller

Re: Auto Water changes

Post by Jim Miller »

That works! Just make sure to put a filter on the drain so critters don't end up in the yard!

jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:That works! Just make sure to put a filter on the drain so critters don't end up in the yard!

jim
Definitely!
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Jim Miller

Auto Water changes

Post by Jim Miller »

If you don't want the final swively up pipe you don't need it with this config. Make the siphon the "safe" length to ensure adequate space for a full refill. The siphon will break and completely flush the pipe running outside. Good for freeze protect. However the refill will not only fill the tank but reprime the early needed stage of the siphon for its next use! Just make sure the valves are comfortably below the minimum display tank level.

Nice!

Jim
Jim Miller

Auto Water changes

Post by Jim Miller »

One more thing. You probably will want a check valve on the fill line to prevent back flow to the reservoir when the pump loses prime when the reservoir empties. When this happens the back flow may not sufficiently prime the pump to restart it.

The tank level will go up to the proper height then start moonwalking. Of course this backflow won't be a disaster in your case since the amount it could back flow is limited by the display tank siphon breaking again. If you're paying attention you can always just shut off the fill valve before turning off the pump.

In my case my bottom drilled port would allow my whole tank to drain back into the basement.

Ask me how I know...

Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:One more thing. You probably will want a check valve on the fill line to prevent back flow to the reservoir when the pump loses prime when the reservoir empties. When this happens the back flow may not sufficiently prime the pump to restart it. Jim
Yes, I thought a check valve might be a good thing too. I searched online last night, but had trouble finding one. I would need it to fit 3/4" tubing. Any idea where I might look to find one?
Julie
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

jweis

Post by jweis »

Thanks for the link. The darn check valve is almost as expensive as the pump! Someone is making a pretty profit of those gizmos.
Julie
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Yeah, if I was you I'd go without it and see what happens.

Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:Yeah, if I was you I'd go without it and see what happens.

Jim
I am putting a manual shut off at the point where the line from the reservoir meets the Y connection. I'll see if that works before I spring for the check valve. The only time I will have that valve open is when I am filling the tank. Just think of all the plants I can buy at the GWAPA auction for $35!
Julie
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

woo hoo!!

jim

Sponsors