To sump or not to sump?

Why buy when you can DIY?
sukrol

To sump or not to sump?

Post by sukrol »

…Well… I just got myself a used Marineland 200 gal deep dimension. And I have no idea how to go about filtration. The previous owner was using it for saltwater, so he pretty much took out the original overflows, and had 6 more holes professionally drilled (2 for the overflow). All of this is pretty cool, the only problem is, I never done a sump before. I have no idea how to plumb this thing.
What kind/size of sump is right for FRESHWATER?
Should I do a wet/dry sump?
Can I build a refugium?
Should I get a canister filter?
Should I get water pumps? What brand/size?
…So like you see I have a ton of noob questions, if you have a set up and you have the time/patience I would love to visit your fish room. If somebody can refer me to any kind of similar thread I would appreciate it.
And if your that hands on person and wants to actually help me, I’ll be eternally grateful.
Any kind of comment/suggestion is welcomed and appreciated,
Thanks,
Gabriel
Gabriel
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Sumps are good for adding oxygen to the water due to the wet/dry nature of the sump and a larger amount of nitrifying bacteria, etc. Most have issues with sumps and C02 but just turning up the gas can fix this problem, the other is some type of failure where all the water from the tank and sump hits the floor.

You can also use canister filters and either way you should have some custom plumbing done to make life easier with this large of a tank.

You drilled extra holes before hand, any reason???
Sincerely,
Tim

Sponsors