DIY light suspension

Why buy when you can DIY?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

ricoishere wrote:Questin:
Is there stil interest in pursuing the square tubing option?
If it can be bent....sure!
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Update: Instead of pursuing the square tubing (too much work), or the flat steel route (would've wound up with too much left over), I took Aarons' DIY and modified it just a bit. Took some conduit, shaped it, spray painted it black with Krylon, and voila. Anyway, here's a snap with a 36" fixture. Not perfectly square, but it'll do for now.
Attachments
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Rome wasn't built in a day

I can grow any algae!

:roll:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

So what modification did you make to the process?
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Where did you get the apparatus to hang your light? I'm looking for something like this to hang my new light above my 40BR tank and I need one ASAP because my new ballasts and light bulb are coming in this week.

Thanks,
Arlene
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Aaron wrote:So what modification did you make to the process?
I attached the 2 rods to 2 - 1/2" boards using metal straps. One close to the floor, the other about 30" up to ensure stability. Then I used speed clamps to secure top board to the brace going along the back of the stand. Oh, I also learned a lesson. Never never ever ever have your hands in the water to adjust your spraybar, lights plugged in, and hold the "CONDUIT"! :idea: :shock:

I can grow any algae!

ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

scientist0724 wrote:Where did you get the apparatus to hang your light? I'm looking for something like this to hang my new light above my 40BR tank and I need one ASAP because my new ballasts and light bulb are coming in this week.

Thanks,
Arlene
That set is the suspension kit you can buy for the TEK lights. After I received everything, I realized that the lights came with its own suspension set, but not as nice. You can make your own set by buying the cable, stop and thimble from Lowes for about 1/4 the price though. I'll be making one for my 48" fixture.

I can grow any algae!

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

ricoishere wrote:
I attached the 2 rods to 2 - 1/2" boards using metal straps. One close to the floor, the other about 30" up to ensure stability. Then I used speed clamps to secure top board to the brace going along the back of the stand. Oh, I also learned a lesson. Never never ever ever have your hands in the water to adjust your spraybar, lights plugged in, and hold the "CONDUIT"! :idea: :shock:
That's pretty much how I attached mine too. It's a great way to make a cheap nice looking light hanger. I just wish I could find endcaps for the conduit to make it look a little more polished.
ricoishere

Post by ricoishere »

Aaron wrote:
ricoishere wrote:
That's pretty much how I attached mine too. It's a great way to make a cheap nice looking light hanger. I just wish I could find endcaps for the conduit to make it look a little more polished.
I cheated. I made a couple out of cork, jammed them in there prior to painting, sanded them flush, spray painet the bars. what's even better I had a reason to drank the whole bottle of wine! :lol:

I can grow any algae!

Sponsors