upgrading lighting..

Why buy when you can DIY?
DonkeyFish

upgrading lighting..

Post by DonkeyFish »

So. Has anyone ever attempted to upgrade the lighting in a Marineland Eclipse tank? Is it as easy as taking the guts from a better setup and affixing to the inside of the Eclipse top? Half of the problem is the "completely contained filter system", which while cool and tidy takes up almost 1/3 of the surface area under the top. If I use a standard HOB-type filter then that would be solved, but would then make the lighting situation even more pathetic.

Could one get replacement parts for a second bulb/ballast/whatever and just wire that in and affix in conjunction with the existing or would it be easier/smarter to get a completely different upgrade "kit" or setup and start over? Or am I creating WAAY too much work for what its worth (most likely answer, knowing me)?

Suggestions? TIA.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I "upgraded" a 5g hex. There wasn't enough room to retrofit the hood, so I removed the whole top, cut a piece of plexi and used a hob nano filter and a small cf fixture. The plexi does warp, but I would just turn it over regularly to warp the other way. :)

Sponsors