mineralized question

Why buy when you can DIY?
B Considine

mineralized question

Post by B Considine »

Just finished the first soak/dry cycle. I see that the large clods are now golf ball sized clods. Should I break these up as best as possible, or will these become smaller with each cycle?

Should I have dried the topsoil before even beginning the soaking? Should I have screened it first? I didn't see screening as a step in Aaron's write-up until the end.

Blaise
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Blaise,

No need to screen it at first. I usually do it after it's dried for the last time. Definitely mix the soil around. The idea is to expose it to as much air as possible while it is moist.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

I'm ready for the 2nd dry-out period. What about all the pollen in the air? Isn't that just putting more organics back in the mix? Or is the amount too low to worry about?

Blaise

Update: Went to drain the water, and it was fermenting. Oily film over the water surface. I poured it off and refilled. Any issues with a bubbling, stinky brew?
jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

I don't think the pollen will make a difference. When it's done it will be odorless.

I just set up my first mineralized tank yesterday, a 29G tank. I had about 10 lbs of mineralized soil and used about 3/4 of it. No green water yet, and no fish yet either. I using medium light, 2.5 wpg and pressurized co2.

I capped it with some black T-Grade I bought last summer. I should have rinsed it first, it gave off an oily black film.
Joe
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

B Considine wrote:I'm ready for the 2nd dry-out period. What about all the pollen in the air? Isn't that just putting more organics back in the mix? Or is the amount too low to worry about?

Blaise

Update: Went to drain the water, and it was fermenting. Oily film over the water surface. I poured it off and refilled. Any issues with a bubbling, stinky brew?
You'll know it's done when the bubbling and stinking begin to stop. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the pollen. I usually do keep it covered while it's in the soaking phase to keep leaves and such from falling into it.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

With all the rain, it's been soaking for quite a while. The odor lingers, but you have to search it out. Ready for the final dry-off, or one last round (the 4th overall)?

Also, I've left it uncovered most of the time, and with the rain, the sediment hasn't fallen out of solution. If I pour it off before drying, am I not pouring away exactly the product I want to keep? Or, is the amount in solution not significant enough to worry about?

I guess what I'm trying to say, is "Will I have enough left from one bag of topsoil at the end of this process for my 65 gallon aquarium, or should I purhcase a 2nd bag of topsoil and start again?"

Blaise
jcali10

Post by jcali10 »

For a buck fifty, I'd just get another bag of top soil. I bought a couple of bags from the home depot on Snowden Parkway in Columbia, it had a very different texture than the bag I bought last year. Lots more organic material, (mulch like) and clay too. I'm gonna buy another bag from somewhere else and see if it's any better.
Joe
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

After screening, I'm left with the better part of a 10 gallon tupperware container. More than I expected. I hope to have the mud made and the tank ready for planting by the July meeting this Saturday.

Blaise
ingg

Post by ingg »

Yeah, and it'll be even more once you get it wet - powdered peanut butter could fit into a very small envelope!

Let me know if you need stuff/help Blaise.
Dave

Sponsors