Clean glass.

Why buy when you can DIY?
DonkeyFish

Clean glass.

Post by DonkeyFish »

Any tips on how to get hard water deposits and/or what looks and is behaving like etching out of glass?? :)
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

White vinegar dissolves hard water deposits, IIRC. Etching I don't know about...
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

The white deposits should just come off with vinegar, I often use it just straight up out of the bottle, and let it sit for a while. I usually put the side I'm working with on the floor, pour the vinegar on, and let it sit. A flat blade will also help.

Are you thinking the etching is from the sand? I should have thought about that :(
Best, Corey
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Yeah, I tried elbow grease and a scraper... and some heavy-duty lime & calcium dissolver stuff. It's from where the waterline was on the side of the glass. When I'm messing with it and it's wet you can't see the line, so I'm hoping it won't be terribly noticeable once it's full of water??

Will try the vinegar soak. Thanks for the suggestions!
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

oooooo I'd be really careful with the chemicals. You'll have to make sure it's really rinsed! I've rehabbed a lot of old tanks with just the vinegar (only thing that really softened it up enough for the scraper to work). Soaking is a lot of it. If it's not as noticable under water, having it full of water will also hopefully soften it up as well. I should have just filled the sucker up with water after I moved it :-/
Best, Corey
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

I had luck wetting the glass and using a new razor blade with a moderate amount of pressure.
Doug
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

The stuff I found was "non-toxic" and recommended for use on cooking utensils and things a person would eat off of. And I made sure to not get any near the silicone since I'd bet it absorbs things. And then I rinsed it all off a few times and soaked the full tank in a 5x dose of water conditioner/chemical remover stuff (wasn't Prime, but one of the others) overnight.

God willing everything is out! Well, except the water mark ;) But I do think it will eventually dissolve when it's constantly under water.

Thanks for the suggestions all
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

Yay for the happy new home for the little ones ;)
Best, Corey

Sponsors