CO2 question for those that know

Why buy when you can DIY?
ingg

Post by ingg »

Sold by hagen, they look like a little plastic ladder - the bubble rides back and forth on the "rungs", diffusing as it goes.

Works better for DIY than most other diffusors; as ceramic and glass type diffusors for example require a good amount of backpressure, a bit of a challenge for DIY rigs. Also allows you to get an accurate bubble count, and see when production slows.
Dave
dSerk

DIY CO2

Post by dSerk »

John G wrote:If you use the yeast that is sold for making wine it can tolerate a bit more alcohol, and will last a little longer.
How does the cost of brewer's yeast compare to grocery store stuff?

There's a couple things I do to extend the output of my DIY CO2...

1. add some protein mix, it's another source of food for the yeast. Not sure how reliable this claim is.

2. add some baking soda, a little bit can buffer the pH

Adding more sugar/baking soda/yeast after the output starts slowing down was never as effective as starting a fresh batch.

One safety feature I don't see mentioned much is to build a second bottle to go in between the yeast culture bottle and the tank. The tube from the yeast culture bottle goes in the second bottle all the way to the bottom. The tube from the second bottle to the tank should only have 1 inch in the bottle. Any overflow from the yeast culture bottle falls to the bottom of the second bottle; gas goes out the top to your tank. I've built 3 this way. I frequently shake the mix and always get a little fluid and um... mash (or is it malt or does that require hops, barley?) in the tubes. The second bottle insulates your tank from fluids and gunk.

I just moved my big tank to a can'o'CO2, so I have an extra if you want it, Damian.
Dan Please, spay/neuter your Platys.
ingg

Post by ingg »

Brewer's yeast lasts longer, as it is a mix that is meant to continue in the alchohol created, unlike bread yeast from he grocery store.

It is more expensive per ounce, but saves the sanity of replacing the bottle every ten days.

Honestly, in anything but a nano tank, you pay for a pressurized setup inside two years just buying sugar and yeast. Faster if you consider your own time to be money. ;) DIY is good to get your feet wet, but long term.... not so much.
Dave
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

Honestly, in anything but a nano tank, you pay for a pressurized setup inside two years just buying sugar and yeast. Faster if you consider your own time to be money. ;) DIY is good to get your feet wet, but long term.... not so much.[/quote]

so what you are saying is that a pressurized tank can last up to two years?
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
ingg

Post by ingg »

No, I am saying the cost, over the span of two years, is equal - and from that point on, pressurized is less expensive.

Pressurized is a big initial investment, and very cheap to keep going.

DIY is no initial investment (okat, a few bucks) and much more to keep going.

Buying CO2 gas refills is a LOT cheaper than buying the bags of sugar and yeast for an equivalent time period.
Dave
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

i see, i;ll defenitly keep that in mind, for now i'll stay with what i have. i read another thread and someone mentioned a local place for the refill of pressurized co2 so that is a big plus for me, thanks
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
dSerk

Post by dSerk »

ddavila06 wrote:someone mentioned a local place for the refill of pressurized co2 so that is a big plus for me, thanks
It was about $23 to fill my new 5lb. can at Bars by Bud. It's right next to Home Depot, across the street from Merrifield Post Office on Hilltop Road. Open on weekends :)
Dan Please, spay/neuter your Platys.

Sponsors