is it possible?

Why buy when you can DIY?
JMLenke

is it possible?

Post by JMLenke »

to have too large a reactor?

I have something I have been meaning to make into a reactor sitting in my trunk. The thing is, it is a water filter that is about 2 feet long. I will need to crack it open and pull out the media and replace it with baffles of some sort (bio balls probably).

But I was honestly curious if you could build a reactor that is too large for the tank.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yes, in my opinion it can be too large. The larger the reactor, the more the flow of your filter will be hindered. Flow is an integral part of growing healthy plants.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I took off all of the reactors I had on my Eheim canisters, and instead just inject the CO2 straight into the intake, and haven't looked back. If that works for you, don't even bother with the reactor. Of course, depending on the canister, if you run into air-locking issues, you'll be forced to forgo some flow and build a reactor.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to run a separate pump or power head just for the reactor. You can never have too much flow.

Cheers.
Jim
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

DelawareJim wrote:I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it to run a separate pump or power head just for the reactor. You can never have too much flow.

Cheers.
Jim
dependng on the size of the reactor it might be worth it (i.e. my reactor idea).

smaller reactors would probably not affect the flow but super reactors might.

just as long as I dont have to buy a bolt down iwaki I think I will be ok.
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
ingg

Post by ingg »

Very possible.

That mosnter 3" dual chamber reactor I'd built for the 180g was too large.

Essentially, if you slow flow too much, the bubbles will build and form a pocket in the top of the reactor. Don't slow it enough, and they blow out the bottom in a fine fine mist.
Dave

Sponsors