CO2 filling location in DC and leak question

Lighting, filtration etc
keeperofthefish

CO2 filling location in DC and leak question

Post by keeperofthefish »

Can anyone who lives in or right around DC recommend a few good places to get a CO2 tank filled? I know a place in Bladensburg (F+M Fire), but I'm looking for one that might be open later on weekdays or that are open weekends? Otherwise, it's tough to get to a place with work in downtown DC.

I had a brand new, freshly filled 5lb. tank and I think my JBJ regulator has a leak, because I only had my CO2 hooked up for about 5 days before the thing was spent. Also, I had to manually adjust the needle valve each morning to get the flow going after the soleneid switched off each evening then back on in the morning. Any thoughts on this? Common places to look for a leak? Is the best way to find the leak just to spray the whole regulator with soapy water and look for bubbles?

Thanks.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Did you use teflon tape on the threads? Also, did you use both plastic washers like the instructions say to?
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

My JBJ regulator leaked at the bottom of the bubble counter. Fixed this with teflon tape. Hook it up and the connections with Windex.
Jeff U.

fredyk

Post by fredyk »

There's a place called Bars by Bud in Fairfax that is open on Saturday.

I've had problems with CO2 leaks, and submerse the whole thing (not the electric part) in a large tub of water looking for leaks.

Also leave the CO2 on all day. Don't adjust the needle thread every day.

Mark
keeperofthefish

I did use teflon tape and the plastic washers... I have a strong feeling that the leak was at the bottom of the bubble counter on mine, also. I will disassemble it today and put some teflon tape on it. I think I should have sprung for the "top gun" regulator that aquarium plants has for sale. They supposedly test every unit. Oh well...

Any suggestions on filling locations?
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

About the soleneid switching on and off and the CO2 needing adjusting. The flow of the gas is not like turning on and off an electric switch. The pressure needs to build up in the morning and it will ramp down in the evening. You should be able to set it once and let it go. Otherwise do like Mark says and leave it on 24/7, I have for years.

I don't know anyplace to get a refill outside of normal business hours.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

CO2 can be refilled at Bars by Bud in Fairfax on Saturday. They sell equipment for home bars, and they fill up CO2 canisters. There was a discussion about Paintball shops and I got a refill there once, but I prefer Bars by Bud. Refill for 5# costs around 16.95 with a washer.
703-573-1010
8302 Hilltop Rd
Fairfax VA 22031

Mark
keeperofthefish

Well, by the time I got out to Bars by Bud this past Saturday, they were out of CO2. This despite the fact that I called them in the early afternoon and they assured me everything was a go on their end. But it seems like a good place for the future. That said, I bit the bullet (and the brutal commute back into DC in the morning) and went back to F&H Fire in Hyattsville, MD. They filled up the tank again and were just as nice as before. If anyone is close to them, they are highly recommended for $13 while-you-wait fill-ups for a 5# tank.

That said, I also figured out what was making the JBJ leak. It appears to have been the connection between the needle valve and the bubble counter. I applied copious amounts of teflon tape, screwed it down tight and now things are going beautifully. I am still using my Hagen diffuser ladder. I will get brave eventually and try Aaron's suggestion of just feeding the CO2 into the intake of my Eheim 2213.
tomterp80

Post by tomterp80 »

Refills? Do you need a refill becuase you are using a specialty tank, for aquarium systems?

I use a standard industrial 20# tank, and Roberts Oxygen will do tank swaps. I think the last time I swapped it was under $30, and this tank has lasted > 3 years already.

I used the Roberts Oxygen in Merrifield, but there are others in the region.
John G

teflon tape

Post by John G »

I'm far from being an expert on this, but it should be pointed that a lot of folks who are experts think that use of teflon tape on CO2 devices is a very bad idea. Apparently small bits of it can jam put the device.

John

Sponsors