CO2 regulator preferences?

Lighting, filtration etc
Becca
GWAPA Member

CO2 regulator preferences?

Post by Becca »

I'm in the market for another CO2 regulator and I'm trying to decide which to buy.

I have one that I really like that came 2nd hand with a tank my father-in-law bought maybe 6 years ago. It's a Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) regulator. I believe it's a GLA Gro-1 (http://www.petzonesd.com/gla-gro-1-aqua ... regulator/). This specific model isn't sold any more

I'm debating right now between:
  • GLA Gro (single stage)
    CO2 art Pro SE (dual stage)
    SR Aquaristik (single stage)
My understanding is that dual stage regulators prevent end of tank dump. That said, I've never had an issue with EOTD on my current GLA regulator, which I am fairly certain is a single stage model.

The dual stage from CO2 art is priced right between the SR Aquaristik (cheapest) and GLA Gro. Honestly, if GLA still had the exact regulator I already have, I'd probably just get another. Since I can't get the same thing, what have folks used and what do you like?

I use pH controllers and timers as a safety measure and probes have been recently replaced.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Re: CO2 regulator preferences?

Post by Becca »

Aaaaaaaaaaaanybody???
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I've never gone wrong with a GLA regulator, single or dual stage. They use higher quality parts, which tends to add redundancy to avoid the dumps. They're also pricier than many other options. I haven't used the other two options you listed.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Looks like CO2 art is having a 30% off sale for Black Friday. It's possible to get their higher end reg for about $190, which is $40 more than the least expensive model of the GLA... decisions, decisions...
John G

Post by John G »

I have a regulator you can have for free...in fact I have a co2 tank and regulator if you want them. If you send me your email address I’ll send you a photo of them.

John
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
halak

Post by halak »

Santa is amongst us...
Viktor
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

John G wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:40 pm I have a regulator you can have for free...in fact I have a co2 tank and regulator if you want them. If you send me your email address I’ll send you a photo of them.

John
That's very sweet, John. I ended up ordering a GLA gro because I've had such good experiences with them. I don't currently have a need for a 3rd setup, but I'm sure there's a GWAPA member out there who will take you up on this very generous offer ❤
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I tried a Milwaukee once and it dumped and wiped out my tank. I have since always (twice) bought a dual stage from Robert’s Oxygen. They hold steady pressure.

John, I surprised that no one has snagged your gift.
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

I may be late to answer but I've had a GLA regulator for over 5 years and it's performed really well.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I recently got a SR Aquaristik CO2 Dual Stage Regulator. The first one had a sticking needle valve and solenoid valve. I contacted SR and they sent a new right away and the new unit is bullet proof. I adjusted Needle once and it has held the flow perfectly.

But I would just recommend getting a dual stage instead of a cheaper single stage.

Sponsors