Ideal PAR for High Tech Tank

Lighting, filtration etc
WET Aquaria

Ideal PAR for High Tech Tank

Post by WET Aquaria »

I am trying to finish the design for my stand and am trying to figure out the ideal height to run my 4x t5 fixture at. I setup a ghetto system to figure out PAR. At 7.5" above the tank, I am getting 115 to 120 PAR.

krisw
Site Admin

Re: Ideal PAR for High Tech Tank

Post by krisw »

Will, this very much depends on what you want to grow. First, whenever measuring PAR, make sure that the tank has water in it, since the PAR measurements are going to be much lower through water than air.

That said, for a high-light tank with CO2, I aim for no less than 60 PAR at substrate. That said, I often see better results for carpeting plants closer to 100 PAR at substrate, but most of what's in the hobby will be okay at 60. Now, that said, I also have a tank with mostly Buce, java fern, and Bolbitis that has a substrate PAR of about 15, and that's great for those tanks. Much more, and I get uncontrollable algae. So, for me, if possible, I buy light fixtures that can produce the high-end output, but are dimmable so that I can dial back as needed depending on the scape/plants I'm using. Sorry, I know this isn't a concrete answer for you!
WET Aquaria

Post by WET Aquaria »

Thanks kris. I tried to simulate with water in the bucket. Depth is 2" shy of the actual, but the substratewill be raised a few inches. As for plants, I would like a lot of stems in the background, with erios, crypts and some others in the foreground. I drew up a makeshift paint roughly of what I'm thinking. Some plants subject to change depending on availability and whatnot.

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Makes sense. If you're measuring 115 PAR at the level of substrate, I'd think you'd be good for any of those plants.
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Wouldn’t the white bucket skew the PAR reading to be higher?
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I am getting 150 PAR on my glosso and it is doing great but I am running a fine line on algae. I did not think about dimming the lights. I will need to check the app tonight.

Jen, snails are just food for my assassins.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

Seems I hit the button twice. Somethings can’t be fool proofed.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Rick, 150 PAR at substrate will grow just about anything, but like you said, it's a fine line for algae. If you can keep the overall system balanced, you can definitely do it just fine.

Sponsors