LED light

Lighting, filtration etc
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

LED light

Post by ddavila06 »

hey guys, I have a few questions:

Since lighting specifically for planted tanks can be pricy, I was browsing through Kens website and came across this:
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... -inch.html

given the little info it gives, what would your thought be on it? it is for Nagesh's 65, medium tech tank. nothing too fancy, but LED's should live longer and be brighter that T5 NO. will have co2 tank running, eventually, IF JOSH DECIDES TO BRING THE CANISTER BACK...

anyways, anyone has experience? recommendation? thanks :)
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Re: LED light

Post by ddavila06 »

Damian Davila
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 24" is at 21 micromols. Not very bright at all. The Edge appears be to a little bit more, but not significantly. If price is concern, look at the Finnex ray2s or planted+ 24/7 lights -- they'll output decent PAR for price.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

I will look at finnex ray2s or planted, do you have a link? we are not going for solar system for the tank, but want to have more on the medium light range :)

then there was also this: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... -inch.html from kens

Thanks K
Damian Davila
halak

Post by halak »

Amazon sells the Finnex fixtures.
Viktor
Larry Grenier

Post by Larry Grenier »

Also search"beamswork led" at Amazon. I own a few on low light tanks and they seem great bang for the buck.
Larry Grenier,
Manassas, VA
jweis

Post by jweis »

I bought a Finnex from amazon and it is very bright and nice. I bought a open box unit and saved even more money that way.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
Termato

Post by Termato »

Have any of you used those LED light strips to light any planted tanks? I was thinking of creating some contraption to test out the strength vs cost of those lights. You can get a 16' roll for about $15 and another $15 for the power adapter. It's the same ones Joey (DIY King) did on one of his lastest YouTube videos. I just have a more concentrated application method planned out for a 48" tank. I can post how that comes out when I get to building it.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Termato, for a very shallow tank, you may have some luck, but these are not high output lights. As a comparison, most RapidLED lights draw 3V each with up to 1A current. For many of our tanks, we'd want 24-36 of these LEDs, or 72-108V. Most of those LED light strips are 12V total with less current. Not that energy use is a sole indication to output PAR, but when you're looking at almost 10 orders of magnitude in difference, there's a pretty good chance that the output won't be enough for a tank with any height. But, it's a neat experiment anyways to see how many of those light strips you need to do so.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

krisw wrote:The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 24" is at 21 micromols. Not very bright at all. The Edge appears be to a little bit more, but not significantly. If price is concern, look at the Finnex ray2s or planted+ 24/7 lights -- they'll output decent PAR for price.
I am liking the Finex planted very much, thanks for the info :)
Damian Davila

Sponsors