LED lighting article

Lighting, filtration etc
DelawareJim

LED lighting article

Post by DelawareJim »

Here's a good article from the Aquarium Article Digest on LED lighting. While geared more towards reef tanks, there are good comparisons for planted tanks too.
http://aquarium-digest.com/tag/reef/

Could we maybe make this a sticky?

Cheers.
Jim
krisw
Site Admin

Re: LED lighting article

Post by krisw »

It's stuck now!
John G

Post by John G »

I've just skimmed through it, but Jim is does look very good. Thanks for the link.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
jweis

Post by jweis »

So, I read the entire article, and my summary is as follows:
Cheap LEDs aren't very good.
You should spend some bucks to get the better LEDs, and if you wait two more years, they will be even better.
Also, the good LEDs are still more cost efficient long term (when you consider energy costs and the cost of replacement bulbs) than T5s.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

That's pretty much what I got out of it.

So with that said, yesterday I decided to spring for a pair of the TMC GroBeam 500's for my 29 gallon instead of the Finnex 30 fixture. I was really disappointed when I saw Finnex just took the 24 inch array and put it in a 30 inch housing.

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

DelawareJim wrote:That's pretty much what I got out of it.

So with that said, yesterday I decided to spring for a pair of the TMC GroBeam 500's for my 29 gallon instead of the Finnex 30 fixture. I was really disappointed when I saw Finnex just took the 24 inch array and put it in a 30 inch housing.

Cheers.
Jim
I have odd widths on my tanks too. My 37g requires a 30" light and my 11g requires an 18" light. Next time, I am going to think it through a bit more and get tanks only in 12" increments, so I can easily get standard size fixtures.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
150EH

Post by 150EH »

It was good article but some of the article was already out dated, the technology is changing daily. I generally like his articles but I did disagree with the diy section, not everyone is interested in only super bright Cree LEDs there are many more choices out there currently.
Sincerely,
Tim
tug

Post by tug »

Arline said that there are a few GWAPA members using or thinking about using LED lights. I posted this at CCA …
I found a link that offers PAR on select brands of LED fixtures. I picked up the Finnex FugeRay 7000k to keep the lighting on the low side. I am impressed with the light/spread it provides and it's low cost (36" light for $109) is appealing. The mounting legs do not have set screws (a little diy to keep them from sliding around) it would be nice if they replaced some blue LED's with red and/or white ones, but otherwise it has a very low profile and seems to provide plenty of light for my 29 gallon tank. The link providing PAR values is from TPT, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showt ... p?t=160396
For larger tanks and a light with more bells and whistles I still might go with an ATI Dimmable Sunpower light. Though, by the time I need a 48" light, something else might come along. The ATI Sunpower is not cheap but neither are comparable LEDs.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Link is dead.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:Link is dead.
Yeah, I was looking at Planted Tank forum discussions about LED fixtures. I need help. I miss the days of wt/gallon :-)

Sponsors