Hooking Up My CO2 Unit

Lighting, filtration etc
JLW

Hooking Up My CO2 Unit

Post by JLW »

Well, I finally got around to getting my CO2 canister filled.

Now, I have a pH controller, a filled canister, solenoids, tubing, and all this other STUFF that I don't know how to put together. I think I could figure it out, but ... well, I'd rather not gas my fish. Or myself. Or my dogs--eh, maybe them.

Is there anyone who might be willing to show me exactly how I put all this stuff together, tell me if I'm missing anything, and help me set-it up? I'm in Takoma Park, which is pretty close to the CCA meeting (about 2 miles), so possibly after/before CCA?

Let me know, and we can discuss terms! :-D
><>
150EH

Re: Hooking Up My CO2 Unit

Post by 150EH »

It's not to hard, do you want to try and do it over the internet and phone? I have the time but my money is so tight I can't afford to drive around and I know you can do it with just a little help. Why don't you try and post a photo or several photos if needed so we can see what you have, or if needed just pm you name and phone number, my name is Tim BTW I joined last August.
Sincerely,
Tim
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

Were Doug and Cristy to able to help you out on Saturday?

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
JLW

Post by JLW »

Yes! Doug and Cristy came over after the CCA meeting on Saturday and helped me hook it up. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be. I have to replace my airline tubing with the appropriate stuff and I need a cheque valve able to handle the pressure, but ... other than that, I'm good to go!

A big TY to Doug and Cristy! :)

In the meanwhile, I have some sort of bacterial infection in this tank. I swear the tank itself is cursed, I'm ALWAYS fighting something in it. I'm treating it, so I'll wait on the CO2 until I get it back under control. :(
><>
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

JLW wrote:In the meanwhile, I have some sort of bacterial infection in this tank. I swear the tank itself is cursed, I'm ALWAYS fighting something in it. I'm treating it, so I'll wait on the CO2 until I get it back under control. :(
Just so you know, cyano-bacteria often occurs when your nitrogen levels get out of whack, either too high or completely depleted. After treating, your long-term solution may be to dose more/less KNO3 to keep it from coming back. Especially once you add CO2 and drive the growth of your plants...
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Maybe that's how I got Cyanobacteria, it was almost the same type of event.
Sincerely,
Tim
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hey Kris, I am not having a cyanobacterial infection. I'm having some sort of fish disease: something I haven't encountered before. The fish all look like they've been eating sandpaper: their lips are white, peeling, and pitted. On some, it's spread back toward the eyes and gills. Some fish show no symptoms at all and simply die.

This is the tank that just got over ich 3 weeks ago. This is the only tank I have problems with disease with, and I would LOVE to know why. It's lightly stocked, well filtered, good water quality, heavily planted, and constantly in trouble. Meanwhile, within two feet of it, I have an overstocked tank with no filter but a glob of java moss, and the fish breed nonstop. Go figure. :p

I honestly think there's a hex or something on this particular tank, it consistently makes me feel like I don't know what I'm doing. If something can go haywire and kill a bunch of fish, it'll happen to this tank.

Hey... are there any witch doctor's in the group ? :-D
><>
150EH

Post by 150EH »

Did you treat the Ich with a medication?
Sincerely,
Tim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Ugh, that sounds much less fun than cyanobacteria. Good luck -- I haven't encountered that one before!
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hey Tim. I try to avoid using medications as much as possible. I treated it with heat.
><>

Sponsors