Replacing Inlet stem on CO2 Regulator

Lighting, filtration etc
seiji64

Replacing Inlet stem on CO2 Regulator

Post by seiji64 »

I recently bought a brass Victor regulator off of eBay. It had the wrong type of inlet stem on it, so I went to Airgas and got an inlet to allow me attach it to a standard CO2 tank. The problem is I can't get the existing stem to unscrew from the body. I've tried WD40 & clamping the body to a small bench vise, but it won't budge. Is there somewhere I can take this thing to have the inlet removed?

Doug
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Got a picture?
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

Here's what it looks like:

Doug
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I wonder if there's some sort of adapter you could attach to that instead of trying to remove it?
gmccreedy

Post by gmccreedy »

Could it be reverse threads? I know for a fact that some of the threads on a regulator body are reverse, just can't remember which ones they were.

So, you may be tightening it by accident.
New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
~Glenn
Spine

Post by Spine »

I had to do a swap on one of my Reg's. They had used some sort of sealant on the threads and it ended up acting like glue.
Look at the direction the threads go on your new part and try turning the opposite direction to take the old piece off. Use some shop rags or a towel to protect the regulator and clamp it tight in the vice. Use the longest wrench you can find,this will give you more leverage. If you have some deep well sockets you could use them with a breaker bar that should give the leverage that you need.
Make sure you go slow an steady, so you don't round off any of the bolts and remember to look and make sure it's actually turning, brass is soft enough that you can break or strip it by over torquing.

Good luck
Kevin
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Kevin's right on the money.

According to *my* Aaron (who messes with stuff like this fairly often) the "glue" they use is more like a cement/sealant because of it being a high pressure application (+1500 psi usually). Which makes it, well, super duper strong.

Basically it's going to come down to having a really good vice, and just the right wrench. Oh, and a LOT of force to get it to break loose.

If you are coming to the meeting he said he would try to get it off for you, but we'd have to send it back to you or meet somewhere to return it since he'd have to do it at the shop.

But basically he's just going to do the same thing you've tried and Kevin so clearly outlined.

If you go getting wily and try other methods, he did mention you probably shouldn't use heat to try to loosen it as the internals and diaphragms are probably sensitive and wouldn't take to it very well.

And if you do get it apart, when you put it back together do you have a plan for sealing it back up? It'll need to be something more substantial than just a pipe thread tape type thing, with all the pressure and all. Something liquid based will be your best bet...

Either way... Good luck!!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

If you don't have a long wrench you can interlock the opposite ends of two similarly sized box end wrenches to make one long wrench. Or you can find a pipe to slip over the end of the wrench to make it longer.
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

Thanks all for the advice. Between my brother and I, we don't have the right set of tools to get enough leverage/torque on this thing. I did read up on heating & cooling (worrying) the piece, but I was too scared of ruining some non-metal parts in the regulator. And you confirm my instincts were good on that!

Jen - If you don't mind, I'd like to take you up on your/Aaron's offer to try and unscrew this thing. I'll be at the meeting and I work in Reston, so dropping by Herndon would by relatively painless for me.

And since I'm hitting you up for favors already, could I buy a couple pieces of vinyl as backgrounds for my 29 gallon from you?

Thank again,
Doug
seiji64

Post by seiji64 »

A big thank you to Jen and Aaron for wrenching the unwanted stem off my regulator! I was told it came right off in the shop. Obviously I loosened it up for them. *ahem*
Anyway, here's my recently liberated regulator up and running.
w00t!

Sponsors