Buildmyled.com

Lighting, filtration etc
Jim Miller

Re: Buildmyled.com

Post by Jim Miller »

jweis wrote:Oh and one other thing -- you might look at the other freshwater spectrum too. I think the SHOW version will be very stark and might now show off reds well. Although I would defer to whatever Nick tells you.
You mean might *NOT* show reds? I was wondering that as well.

jim
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Looks like the forthcoming autodimmer wouldn't need the manual dimmer in the way. I think I'd just wait for the autodimmer, or geekily build one myself!

jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:Looks like the forthcoming autodimmer wouldn't need the manual dimmer in the way. I think I'd just wait for the autodimmer, or geekily build one myself!

jim
Yes, I'm waiting for the autodimmer. I don't have the same level of geek ability (or time) to build one myself. But, you should go for it.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:
jweis wrote:Oh and one other thing -- you might look at the other freshwater spectrum too. I think the SHOW version will be very stark and might now show off reds well. Although I would defer to whatever Nick tells you.
You mean might *NOT* show reds? I was wondering that as well.

jim
Sorry, I was typing quickly before I have to rush off to a mtg in DC. NOT show reds, is what I meant.
Julie
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Work...I've heard of it... ;-)

I'll probably just wait for their autodimmer before fiddling with building one myself. I have more than enough to occupy my time.

jim
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Jim Miller wrote:From the TPT "Hoppy" article on lighting, high light is anything above 50umoles. The 48" Freshwater standard product is 85umols. It sounds like a single 48" might be adequate for a planted tank. Am I too optimistic?

EDIT: Just went to their forum and it appears that a single stick with 90d angle would work fine mounted directly on the tank. Need to understand the mounting arrangement. I love their vertical dimension only being about the same as a quarter!

jim
What plants are you talking about? Remembering that most stem plants come from bodies of water that are in full sun all day long, my philosophy is you cannot have too much light. That said, depending on your budget, you could consider 2 fixtures with a narrower beam angle.

Cheers.
Jim
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

My budget is well below 2 fixtures! The tank mounts they sell allow for some tilt. I plan to move the 90d beam unit I just bought a bit forward of the centerline and tilt it a bit toward the back. I'm sure I'll play with it a bit.

I've found that I grow a lot of plants well below "high light" with my setup of MTS, EI and CO2. Actually they grow "a little too well."

jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:My budget is well below 2 fixtures! The tank mounts they sell allow for some tilt. I plan to move the 90d beam unit I just bought a bit forward of the centerline and tilt it a bit toward the back. I'm sure I'll play with it a bit.

I've found that I grow a lot of plants well below "high light" with my setup of MTS, EI and CO2. Actually they grow "a little too well."

jim
So, did you talk with Nick? Did you learn any other interesting tid bits?
Julie
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Yup, talked to Nick. He seems a bit frazzled trying to get his business going. I get the impression he's occupied answering the same questions over and over. But he was very nice. Based on his feedback I ordered the "Freshwater Show Tank" unit. They're working hard on getting a much better website and content produced including some comparative shots of the FW models. He said they are likely to change the naming since they are causing confusion. He said that most folks cannot tell the difference between two lights unless the tanks are against a white wall and side by side.

He said that he has only had one customer request the redder one for comparison after buying the show tank model.

He also said that a good way to use the unit with the tank mounts is to move the unit a bit forward of midline and tip it rearward a bit since most aquascapes rise from front to back.

I'll play with it. I'm looking forward to it.

Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Jim Miller wrote:Yup, talked to Nick. He seems a bit frazzled trying to get his business going. I get the impression he's occupied answering the same questions over and over. But he was very nice. Based on his feedback I ordered the "Freshwater Show Tank" unit. They're working hard on getting a much better website and content produced including some comparative shots of the FW models. He said they are likely to change the naming since they are causing confusion. He said that most folks cannot tell the difference between two lights unless the tanks are against a white wall and side by side.

He said that he has only had one customer request the redder one for comparison after buying the show tank model.

He also said that a good way to use the unit with the tank mounts is to move the unit a bit forward of midline and tip it rearward a bit since most aquascapes rise from front to back.

I'll play with it. I'm looking forward to it.

Jim
    Well, I hope the lights I ordered are OK. I got the redder preconfigured one. I think they will arrivenext week. They are almost done building it.

I might get an 18" fixture for my 11g tank too. I'll probably wait a few months before I do that though.
    Julie

Sponsors