update

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

I have some growth on the A-V, but I can't remember what the name of that plant was.
Judi

Post by Judi »

I now have mold on my P. palustris. Sigh.
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

I don't know which is which for the stems, but both are showing growth... one much more than the other (the one I mentioned earlier curving upward at both ends has distinct leaves). Can someone post the names up so I can label them?

The AVs have done nothing for me... one curled a little bit, both are showing black edges (thinking back I probably didn't cut the ends off after bleaching them). The two species of orchid seed are the same as ever. My jewel orchid stem is still floating around in the PPM and shows one node that may be new growth given time.

I'm suprised at the lack of contamination!
Best, Corey
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My ideii cultures are still plugging along slowly. The AV cultures are starting to show little green bumps. The Anubias 'Gold' cultures continue to grow more mold (big surprise there:))
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

What color is your Mold?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

My Anubias now has bacteria growing on it. :-(
Sonny Disposition

Post by Sonny Disposition »

That kept happening to my Douglas fir cultures all the time. That's just one of the reasons I'm a writer instead of a genetic engineer. I'm better off, and so is the world.
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

SCMurphy wrote:What color is your Mold?
Most is white fuzzy stuff. Some is black / dark bluish.
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

I'm catching up here...and we're having some success to report, especially on the aquatic plants. Click the thumbnails below to embiggen them.

First...unknown aquatic specimen #1 (I never found out which plant was which when we got the samples). It has one rather large plantlet:

Second, unknown aquatic specimen #2--it has a series of small plantlets:

Aquatic specimen #3 is hardest to photograph, but a small nubbin has emerged on the top of the stem:

Finally, it appears the orchid seeds may be emergent, but it's too small to see. Here, you can see that the seed is built up in a layer that is slightly brownish on the left side:

No real signs of contamination, except for one of the jars she used without sterile procedures when demonstrating to the class. Amazingly, one of these jars seems to be clean, nevertheless. Finally, nothing is growing on the African Violets, except one flopped over in its jar on the way home and I don't know if it's working.

TTYL!

Mary
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

Update!

My orchids (the stuff that was brown) last week is still too small to be visible, but it is a pretty greenish liquid. Several of the african violets have nubbins, including (crazily enough) one cast off by the instructor as done under unsterile conditions (the demos she did out of the hooded environment. Aquatic specimens 1&2 are going great--#1 has new plantlets and #2 has root growth showing. The nubbin viewed in specimen #3 is a little bigger, but it still isn't green. A few haven't shown any change.

I'll post photos shortly...

Sponsors