DIY Stir plate

Using tissue culture to propagate plants.

Moderator: Ghazanfar Ghori

Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

DIY Stir plate

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

I'm thinking about making a couple of stir plates. It'll help when treating plants with bleach by keeping the material and liquid moving for better contact and decontamination.

Its pretty simple, and anyone with an old computer / parts laying around chould be able to rig it up pretty quickly. The only thing I think I'd have to actually buy is the stir bar.

Check out simple plans here: http://www.pbase.com/mrfebtober/gallery/diy_stir_plate
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

Related to this, did you say there was a video on youtube or something on how to build a DIY shaker table or something?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Very clever idea. Any suggestions on a stir rod? Would a piece of coat hangar or a nail work?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm not sure this would work for our purposes though. That fan would be moving the air inside the clean box and might contaminate the area?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Aaron, I think most of the stirring took place prior to sterilization. So, at least for mixing the initial solutions we could use this, and then microwave them.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

krisw wrote:Aaron, I think most of the stirring took place prior to sterilization. So, at least for mixing the initial solutions we could use this, and then microwave them.
Right, but if you read what Ghazanfar's proposing to use it for that's where I think it might be an issue. He wants to use it inside the clean hood to stir the bleach solution constantly.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Phyto Tech Labs has them for $6 - $7.
http://www.phytotechlab.com/searchresul ... tegoryid=8

Else you could use a nail or piece or metal rod dipped in "plasti dip". You can get a can of dip at HD or Lowes for about $6 - $7.

Cheers.
Jim
Ben Belton

Post by Ben Belton »

This might be a good time to mention that Phytotech shipping charges can be a bit crazy. Often the true shipping cost is cheaper than what comes up in your shopping cart, but its still high. So if you want to make an order, and it is small, might be good to go in with someone.
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Ben Belton wrote:Related to this, did you say there was a video on youtube or something on how to build a DIY shaker table or something?
Not on how to build - but of one in use - yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jf3w_Cxm8
Last edited by Ghazanfar Ghori on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Aaron wrote:
krisw wrote:Aaron, I think most of the stirring took place prior to sterilization. So, at least for mixing the initial solutions we could use this, and then microwave them.
Right, but if you read what Ghazanfar's proposing to use it for that's where I think it might be an issue. He wants to use it inside the clean hood to stir the bleach solution constantly.
I always bleach outside of the hood - then spray the container down with alcohol and take it into the hood. It minimizes movement inside the hood.

I'd probably buy a stir rod - they're not that expensive.
-
Ghazanfar Ghori

Sponsors