Ideas for second school in 180g?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
ingg

Ideas for second school in 180g?

Post by ingg »

I really want to have one school of dwarf neon rainbows, but this will be perhaps a dozen fish.

I need ideas for another school. My goal was to have two main schools, the dwarf rainbows and one other, and then cleaners, shrimp, and some bottom oriented fish, maybe some cories and a pair or two of dwarf cichlids.

Here are the caveats on the schoolers:

Nothing big and aggressive - no congos, etc.

Like some color.

Like them to school, and like them to move :)

Some things I've been kicking around:

Wife loves the look of neons. Not sure I want to do it, and balked last night in the store... just so... I dunno, overdone. That, and when I see tanks with neons, I never actually see the neons! Would a large enough school actually show themselves, or would I have pretty blue and red fish hiding in the plants and rocks all the time?

I was thinking green flame tetras, but am reading up and finding they don't school very well.

Some sort of orange colored tetra. Whether espeis, etc. AD has some little orange rasbora, looked like an espei missing the nike sign - wish I'd written down the name!

What would just make ya go WOW, what would you put in it were it yours?
Dave
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

What about Rumynose Tetras? Or Rosy Danios? Or, if you like the rainbow theme, maybe some celebes rainbows, or furcatas?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

AD has a killer deal on espei pencilfish right now.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN

They're $5.99 a fish or 6 for $32.50. Yes, still pricey, but consider you never see these in stores and when you do they go for more like $10.00 a fish.

Also, if you can find them I really like Sawbwa resplendens (Asian Rummynose).
http://www.franksaquarium.com/images/sa ... endens.jpg
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

My neons never really schooled very well, neither do the green flame tetras.

Rummy nose keep it pretty tight as well as ember tetras.
Jeff U.

ingg

Post by ingg »

I'm muddling rummynose too.

What about white cloud minnows? Never see those in planted tanks, anyone have experiences with them, good bad indifferent?

I saw those espei yesterday! Didn't know how rare they were, really pretty little guys. I might grab a half dozen, but the 180g needs a school of like 30-40 fish, hehe, and that ain't gonna happen with 5-6 dollar fish. ;)
Last edited by ingg on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

I had them(white clouds) in my 29 still have one left, they are OK, similar to a pencil fish. Dont school real well, but a neat fish for the price
Last edited by Jeff120 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff U.

rich_one

Post by rich_one »

this is going to be a little out there from the norm... but just a thought... what about glass catfish? okay, they are not overly active swimmers per se... but it is an impressive sight to see a group of them doing that hover, wavy thing they do... or at least, it struck me. I do not know overall how this fish acts, but as you can from my photos, mine do not exactly spend a lot of time hiding either. they have a reputation of being a bit delicate, but truth be told, I have never had a problem with them, so I don't know how delicate they are supposed to be.

just an off the cuff two cents.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Rasboras have always worked well for me. You want to knock the viewer's socks off, get a school of 50+. Always very impressive.

Cheers.
Jim
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Yeah you really need like 50 in a tank that size. Rasboras always school well.
As do rummy nose tetras. Rainbows are good option too.
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

Too bad you are using the praecox(my suggestion is really similar in coloration)....I just recently got a school of Colombian Tetras and they look amazing....I have 12 in a 75 and they definitely run in a pack....
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-

Sponsors