When you know you are losing it.

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
ingg

When you know you are losing it.

Post by ingg »

So I stopped into Aquarium Depot the other day, on a secret mission, and found a tank full of something I'd only ever seen pictures of before.

I now find myself wanting to spend 50 bucks on snails! They have in stock those funky banded and spikey-shelled nerites, as well as the nerites with the fine fine ridges running on the shell.

Never saw them in person before, they are SO cool!

Someone help me regain my sanity, my wife'll about kill me if I actually go buy snails like that - since she sees me squishing/mashing/pulling/killing the others in my tank regularly, and will not see the distinction. :)
Dave
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

No, you're not losing it. You've got it bad. Aquarium fever my friend.

Can you post a picture online to what snails you're talking about?
ingg

Post by ingg »

They are nerites, but banded... hang on...

This is the spiky banded one looks like this, they had tons of these:

http://www.akvarij.net/forum/uploads/Ra ... _Snail.jpg

I cannot find the other one - it has very very fine ridges running parallel to the edge of the shell. It makes the shell looked ribbed, like 1/2 mm wide ribs. I'd seen a macro pic on either APC or plantedtank one time of it, and had thought, wow, my snails don't look like that... and they have them!

They only had a few of those 'ribbed shell' ones.
Dave
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Jeff U.

halak

Post by halak »

Dave,

How much are they?
Viktor
ingg

Post by ingg »

Jeff - sort of. But the bands of color are wide, like three or four alternations, more like original picture. Several of the shells had big spikes on them like original picture.

The fine ribbed ones... I have no idea how to describe it. It is like, umm, growth rings, as the shell grew, it made rings.... very unique.

Viktor - they weren't priced on a card yet, I believe they were to be 5.99 each from memory.
Dave
ingg

Post by ingg »

Here is the other one!

Lose the big splotches, just take the fine ribbed pattern under it, and this is their shell. This is the one I've seen a macro pic of the shell detail, but don't know where the post was.... only the fine rib underneath, see how it is like growth rings or something?

http://www.wildsingapore.com.sg/wildfil ... 410m3b.jpg

Other (first - the banded spiky ones) ones I remember best are pretty much dead on for this:

http://glavrybtorg.ru/images/catalog/1170673039.jpg
Dave
maddog10

Post by maddog10 »

I say go ahead and get some (and then float my plants in that tank for a couple of days - being sure that a couple have ample time to hide away) :mrgreen:
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

I think they all have that, with the growth rings, some are more defined then others. Here is one of mine
Jeff U.

ingg

Post by ingg »

I've never seen an olive look remotely like that :)

All mine have very solid colored shells.

That was the pic I was looking for though!
Dave

Sponsors