Ancistrus L numbers?

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Jim Miller

Ancistrus L numbers?

Post by Jim Miller »

What's with L-numbers on ancistrus?

From reading they appear to breed like cockroaches. Is it OK to have just one?

Is there such a thing as a variety which is dwarf or are they all 5" max?

Thanks

Jim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Jim, there are so many undescribed species of Ancistrus that in order to keep them all straight, they've been issuing L-numbers for each new discovery that appear to be new species. While not as well-known, there are also C-numbers of Corydoras and A-numbers for Apistogramma:

http://corydorasworld.com/c_numbers

Now, as far as Ancistrus species go, there are fish of all shapes and sizes, including very small ones. For example, check out Planet Catfish's comprehensive list of L-numbers. You can search this compendium by family (Loricariidae), genus (Ancistrus), and max size of say 3", and you'll get quite a few results. The trick is whether you can actually find a supplies/breeder or not.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search.php

Regarding the typical "Brown/Generic Bristlenosed pleco" that are often sold in auctions/stores, they usually max out around 5-6", but take a fair amount of time to get to that point. They do breed easily (I've got about 50-70 fry right now), but they are pretty good algae eaters, particularly when they're smaller. I absolutely love mine, as the smaller ones go in my tanks until they exceed Otto size, and then they go into my breeding colony population after that. If you provide them with hollow caves (ceramic, hollow driftwood[favorite], etc) they are wonderful in a planted tank. If you may the mistake I did and put them in a minimalistic rock scape, they will dig underneath the rocks, clouding your water. On the other hand, I'm my experience, they tend to breed more when they've put a little bit of effort into their caves/burrows. The fish themselves are often shy, easily spooked, but gradually learn who you are, and more importantly, when feeding time is. For some reason, my smaller fish are always out and about, but the larger ones are more skittish. The old males are amazing to look at -- they're so ugly with their elaborate branched bristles, that you can't help but want to watch them.

You may want to post on the PVAS/CCA forums to find a particular species, as many of their members breed Ancistrus. If that fails, one of the best places to find these guys will be at next October's (2012) Catfish Convention.
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

There are several species of corydoras now that carry a cw moniker in addition to those with the C designation

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/nu ... &thumbs=16
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Thanks for the explanations.

@Kris: what do you do with that many fry?? You must have a monster number of tanks!

Jim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

@Kris: what do you do with that many fry?? You must have a monster number of tanks!
Feed them a lot of veggie-based foods! I have 5-6 tanks running, three with these bristle-nosed guys. Right now, I'm feeding them various veggie foods in a 12G long bookshelf tank, but will need to spread them around after that. I'm waiting for them to get a little bit bigger before doing so, as I have cichlids in the other tanks, and the plecos would likely become a snack at this point.
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I've seen posts that say that although they get to 5" or so it takes a long time to do so. Unfortunately "long" is never spelled out. How big do these get for you and how long has it taken?

I'm interested in one with some interesting coloration but smaller in size. I see that ones that are dark with light spots can go for $50 or more at places like ThatFishPlace. I was going to look at them when we have our meeting there.

I really just want one for algae control and the novelty of their form/color.

Jim
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Jim,
I've got plenty of ancistrus fry. You're welcome to them. Basic bristlenose.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

I have to say I'm not sure I've ever seen a 5" ancistrus (in my tanks or anyone else's). Then again, I've only been doing this for about 4 years, so maybe it takes longer than that to get that big.

I have ones I bought about year ago that were one inch, which are now two inches.

I have two of the long-fin variety I got from Rachel (msjinkzd) that are some of my favorite fish, they're so gorgeous. With their long fins, they might be 5-6".

Sorry, not sure if that helps or not, LOL.
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

Jim

It usually takes several years for bristlenose to get to the 5" mark. I have three or four that size. On the other hand, I bought a few Clown Pleco's, (L162), which are supposed to max out at 4", I got them from SuperPetz as they were closing and in just over a month, they have gone from 1" to 3".....so growth rate can vary greatly.

Thanks
Rob
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

Jim... be careful which pleco you get if you're specifically looking for an algae eater! Make sure to note the diet requirements of the ones you are looking at, some are actually omnivores and most won't eat the problem algae you want them to eat (isn't that always the way??). The pleco world is very vast indeed!

And if you're looking for longfin red marble x bristlenoses I have a bunch in my breeding colony :) I also have some L239 "Blue" plecos that may need rehoming (if Arlene doesn't take them) and an L255 "Spotted Medusa" with the zebras who needs to move on (if I could get him out)... if any of those are something you're looking for :)

You could say I've got a pleco addiction. LOL.
It is not murder if you're killing snails.

Sponsors