Guess the Plant

Plant ID help, discussion, etc.
halak

Guess the Plant

Post by halak »

The bud opened about an hour ago. The white petals are 6 cm long. So, who can guess what it is? The prize is a female dwarf gourami. :D
IMG_3343a.JPG
IMG_3343a.JPG (159.57 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
IMG_3346a.JPG
IMG_3346a.JPG (161.71 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Viktor
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Guess the Plant

Post by krisw »

Crinum! Nice! Is it fragrant?
halak

Post by halak »

You're right, Kris. And yes, it smells good. I read that it will be open for about a week, which is perfect timing because I will have to dismantle its aquarium in 9 days.
Viktor
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Beautiful, is this Crinum natans? The flower looks more slender than the Crinum americana that I flower every summer in my pond. I can't imagine flowering that one indoors though. When flowering, if the air is still, my entire backyard smells strongly of woman's perfume:

DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Hey Kris can I beg a bulb next time you divide yours? I contrived to kill mine when I treated it with a systemic for thrips. Apparently, putting it in a bucket of systemic and sealing it in a dry cleaning bag of a week was too much for it.

I'm thinking about ordering a Crinum asiaticum which is supposed to have more slender petals than americanum. Would you be interested in one?

Cheers.
Jim
Last edited by DelawareJim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
halak

Post by halak »

It's Crinum calamistratum.
Viktor
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Very nice Viktor! Hopefully mine will bloom with more light over the tank. How old is your plant?

Cheers.
Jim
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

DelawareJim wrote:Hey Kris can I beg a bulb next time you divide yours? I contrived to kill mine when I treated it with a systemic for thrips. Apparently, putting it in a bucket of systemic and sealing it in a dry cleaning bag of a week was too much for it.

I'm thinking about ordering a Crinum asiaticum which is supposed to have more slender petals than americanum. Would you be interested in one?

Cheers.
Jim
Jim, sure, I divided it last year, which was quite the chore since I let it go several years in one pot. It seems to produce far more roots than bulbs for me tho. Any suggestions on encouraging new plant growth?

Sure, I'd try the Crinum asisticum if you're ordering. Preferably closer to warmer weather though....
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I'm trialling a couple from a friend in South Carolina for winter hardiness as we're right on the northern fringe of their winter hardiness zone. (USDA zone 6B/7A). I have C. bulbispermum, which is supposed to be the most winter hardy, and C. 'Indian Red' under mulch up against the house where the warmth from the foundation should get them through the winters. I can then start dividing and moving them to different places in the landscape to try different exposures for hardiness.

He's got some pretty nice stuff. http://www.jenksfarmer.

Sorry to hijack your thread Viktor. :oops:

Cheers.
Jim
Last edited by DelawareJim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Interesting. I don't have any areas that stay wet all year round in my yard. Are you able to keep these guys happy just with a thick layer of mulch, or does it need much damper conditions? The flowers on some of those from jenksfarmer are really nice looking.
DelawareJim wrote:I'm trialling a couple from a friend in South Carolina for winter hardiness as we're right on the northern fringe of their winter hardiness zone. (USDA zone 6B/7A). I have C. bulbispermum, which is supposed to be the most winter hardy, and C. 'Indian Red' under mulch up against the house where the warmth from the foundation should get them through the winters. I can then start dividing and moving them to different places in the landscape to try different exposures for hardiness.

He's got some pretty nice stuff. http://www.jenksfarmer.

Sorry to hijack your thread Viktor. :oops:

Cheers.
Jim

Sponsors