CO2 systems, lighting, substrate for planted aquarium

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Nandan_kaluskar

CO2 systems, lighting, substrate for planted aquarium

Post by Nandan_kaluskar »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum as well as aquarium and aquascaping. I am in the process of accumulating things for my 40 gallon tank (breeder 36LX18DX12H) which is going to be a planted aquarium. Looking for pointers/ inputs on the following -

1. Reasonably good CO2 set up (I am not looking for the best of the best as it would also be very costly:)) and sources to get the same
2. Recommended lighting (I am thinking of quad T5 hood however am not sure of which specific lights - Full spectrum/ etc. My guess also is that this will depend on the type of plants - I am keen on making a carpet of HC Baby Tears along with some java fern and other plants in the background, not yet decided)
3. I have 3 bags of 20 lb each of eco-complete substrate but I am almost sure I will need some more substrate. Going by my minimal exposure to HC recently (with Nikhil who is also a GWAPA member), I guess I will need a finer substrate. Are there any recommendations for better, richer substrate to be combined with eco-complete?
4. What are the best starter fish to be put in this tank? I did set up a 29 G sometime back and had put in Serpae tetras and black skirt tetras but as the nitrites started building up, I had a few deaths in the tank. I am thinking of a school of cardinal tetras (may be 6-10) and a couple of cory cat fish.

Apologies if I am asking basic questions but any inputs will be greatly useful.

Warm regards,

Nandan
tug

Re: CO2 systems, lighting, substrate for planted aquarium

Post by tug »

Hello Nandan,
I doubt you will need a quad. Just two T5's over a tank !2 inchs deep is more then enough light. If you go with a T5, my personal preference would be to look for a light that can be suspended above the tank from the ceiling. This can be a real advantage, once you realize the quad light is too bright, it can be adjusted further away from the surface of the tank to reduce the PAR levels.

If LED is an option, the Finnex fugeray sells for $80, plus shipping. This will provide you with more then enough light (about 60PAR at the substrate) to grow a carpet of HC. Two of these lights would provide a more even spread of light once the plants start to grow in but one should be all you need to start with.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Welcome Nandan! In order:

1. Milwaukee all-in-one kits are pretty good value (~$90), but they definitely can dump CO2 when the tank runs low. That said, it's a cheap entry, and if you watch your CO2 tank levels and replace it before it bottoms out, it can work. Others on here can point you to used CO2 parts on ebay and other sources that might allow you to build a higher quality CO2 rig for a similar price.

2. Actually, I have a quad T5 on my 40 breeder, and I would recommend sticking with 4 rather than 2 bulbs if you want to grow HC. Just make sure that you have at least two switches on the fixture so that you can run 2 bulbs for 8-10 hours, and the other 2 for a mid-day burst. As Mike mentioned, running all four all-day is likely overkill and could lead to problems. Of course, if LED is in the books, I'm very happy with the Finnex ray2's on a slightly taller (18") tank. I'm also pleased with the buildmyled.com lights, and if you want to DIY, RapidLED can help you customize exactly what you want. Only downside on Finnex is that they're not dimmable.

3. Eco-complete is a fine substrate that should have no problem growing HC. Keep in mind, however, that Eco-complete by itself is not very nutrient rich, so you should expect to dose additional fertilizers at some point to keep your plants happy. If you like the look/feel of Eco-complete, stick with that. If you want more of a clay-fired look, there's ADA Aquasoil, Fluval Stratum, and several other similar products at various prices.

4. Any fish are fine that don't eat or uproot the plants. I'm hesitant to recommend 'starter fish.' Get fish you want long term. The more plants you plant with initially, the less nitrate/ammonia are an issue because the plants use that are fertilizer. That's why I recommend to plant as densely as possible in the beginning -- cover every inch of the aquarium if you can afford it! Ask Nikhil or others to save their trimmings for you, particularly of fast growing plants, and use that to start for cheap.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Welcome aboard Nandan.

I agree with what Kris says. He's got loads of experience with this.

Regarding lighting, I subscribe to the "You can never have too much light" school for 2 reasons.
1. Most aquarium plants grow in full all-day sun in their native habitat, in and out of the water. Since we are primarily growing plants, I always research the native habitat of my plants and try to emulate their natural conditions as much as possible. HC really is a marginal plant and grows in the mud at the water's edge. It will grow emersed in full sun in its native habitat.

2. It's cheaper in the long run to buy more light than you think you might need than to have to upgrade down the road.

4 tubes will give you so much more flexibility. Like Kris said, you can always run 2 bulbs all day and switch 2 on for a couple of hours for a noon-day burst. It's amazing how the plants respond.
Or you can dim them down a bit by hanging or mounting them a little higher or, in a pinch, add a diffuser to partially shade the tank.

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Post by jweis »

Welcome to the group.

Until I recently switched to LEDs, I had four T5s over my 37g, and they worked well. My plants were healthy and I had little algae.

If you do go the T5 route, I recommend the Geisemann Aquaflora and Midday bulbs. Use two of each and you will have a very nice-to-the-eye color sprectrum. With that said, you will quickly find out that T5 bulbs are expensive and should be replaced every 6-12 mos. I recently switched to LEDs and my plants are still pearling and happy. I recommend Buildmyled.com. There is another thread on their company that you may want to read. Just search "Buildmyled.com". I think they offer the best value and the customer service is beyond fantastic. Anyway, read the other thread to learn all about them if you'd like.

I recently bought a CO2 set up for my Mom with a Milwaukee Instruments Solenoid Valve, CO2 Regulator with Bubble Counter, and a pH monitor/controller. You don't have to use the pH monitor/controller, but it eliminates the guess work, and also saves on CO2. She doesn't have a canister filter, so I just have the CO2 being distributed via an airstone type diffuser. If she had a canister filter, I would have used some sort of inline diffuser. Anyway, below are the items I purchased for her. She is picking up a a 5lb tank locally.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
tug

Post by tug »

After comparing 4 very old T5's with our PAR meter I would have to agree on using four T5's. Now, two younger T5's then mine would provide a more respectable PAR. As is, my two provide about 35PAR at 12" from the light. The FugRay at that depth provides 69. Both are acceptable ranges for growing HC. My only concern is that the CO2 demands will increase significantly when the PAR goes higher then 35.

The main reason I changed my tune is, Four T5's provide some options for better color rendition. Julie's planted tanks look stunning under the Geisemann Aquaflora and Midday bulbs. And, better picture color and viewing is why we keep these tanks.

A light that is dimmable, hangable, etc. would be great.
But remember, quality CO2 equipment can be expensive.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
Nandan_kaluskar

All,

Thanks a ton for your inputs. Certainly I have some homework to do based on these. I will re-read these and make some good decisions. Will obviously let u know what I go with and hopefully u shall also see some good snaps :).

warm regards,

Nandan
Nandan_kaluskar

I went to BuildMyLED.com and found it amazing. However one decision I am not able to make is whether I will need just one 36 inch bar for my aquarium or would it be 2 of them. Tried calling them (Buildmyled) but it seems they are either closed for the day or busy.

Any suggestions/ insight? What parameter should I look for? Just to reiterate, my tank size is 36(L)X18(D)X16(H)....I might have mentioned 12 earlier by mistake.

regards,
jweis

Post by jweis »

Nandan_kaluskar wrote:I went to BuildMyLED.com and found it amazing. However one decision I am not able to make is whether I will need just one 36 inch bar for my aquarium or would it be 2 of them. Tried calling them (Buildmyled) but it seems they are either closed for the day or busy.

Any suggestions/ insight? What parameter should I look for? Just to reiterate, my tank size is 36(L)X18(D)X16(H)....I might have mentioned 12 earlier by mistake.

regards,
Send them an email via their website and they will likely answer you even on the weekend. Nick will give you the best advice. Mention you are with GWAPA. You may also want to consider the Geiseman-like light spectrum, which isn't listed on their website.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

My 75G is a little taller, but I definitely needed two strips to cover the whole area. Then again, I put my light directly on the glass tops. If you hung them a few inches, you may have a different experience, but PAR would go down.

Sponsors