Name that algae...

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
jweis

Name that algae...

Post by jweis »

I can't figure out what type of algae this is. I have spent quite a bit of time looking a pictures of algae on the web, but not luck in seeing anything like it. It is black and is it very difficult to remove. I can't even scrape it off with my fingernails. I think I originally got it from some bolbitis I bought at an auction. It is now also on some of my balanese crypts and on my moss.

It does not appear to be a fluffy as the pictures of BBA that I have found online. However, maybe it is a variation. I just don't know....

If anyone know what it is and who I can get rid of it without killing my fish, shrimp, and snails, please let me know. :)
Attachments
unknown black algae.
unknown black algae.
2011 aug 1475.JPG (97.27 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
jweis

Post by jweis »

I should also add it is on my fissidems. It had seemed to be under control but just this past week it seems to be getting worse.
Julie
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

Excel right on it. what i do is turn the filter off while im doing water change. also turn off the powerhead and when the water is still apply right on it. wait like 10 mins or less and then fill. it worked for me, normal or twice the recommended amount but no more (or you will also kill fish like i did =/ )
i now add excel on a continuos base to keep it away...
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

looks like brush algae to me. cut the offending leaf off at the base. I have read somewhere that hydrogen peroxide works using it the same way Damion described for the excel.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
fjf888

Post by fjf888 »

+1 for BBA, black brush algae. excel directly squirting on the affected area using a syringe as mentioned is highly effective. I have also done 2x the recommended dose overall in the tank and that can do the trick as well.

Also you might want consider gradually increasing your CO2. BBA can frequently occur when flow is decreased due to increased plant growth and also the increased plant growth uses more CO2.

Yes, I'm working on it too :wink:
Attachments
IMG-20110811-00023c.jpg
IMG-20110811-00023c.jpg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Fred
jweis

Post by jweis »

Will the Excel or peroxide hurt the fissidems?

My plants have grown quite a bit recently. I'll up the CO2 some.
Julie
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

I've used peroxide on other mosses without incident. I've also applied it to plants above the water line during water changes. Just don't let it sit too long.
jweis

Post by jweis »

ddavila06 wrote:Excel right on it. what i do is turn the filter off while im doing water change. also turn off the powerhead and when the water is still apply right on it. wait like 10 mins or less and then fill. it worked for me, normal or twice the recommended amount but no more (or you will also kill fish like i did =/ )
i now add excel on a continuos base to keep it away...
I did a double dose of Excel yesterday, but the BBA seems the same. I did the whole tank since I was worried about appling the Excel on the fissidems directly. Does it take a while for the BBA to die, or should I give it another double dose?

Also, how often should I dose Excell to keep the BBA in check? Should I do a double dose once a week? Or just a regular dose once a week?
Julie
jweis

Post by jweis »

I read this on another forum, but it seems like a lot of Excel.

Stop your filters so there's no water flow for about 10 mins. Treatment should be continued for 14 days with daily overdoses, ideally just before lights off.
Do change at least 40% water a week during the 2 weeks treatment too

Before I keep up this intensity of Excel, I thought I should check with the collective intelligence of GWAPA.
Julie
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I have found that it only takes 3-5 days of treatments at 1ml/10g daily to kill BBA. Treat until the BBA turns red. Other algae can be more difficult to kill.

Sponsors