Downoi

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
B Considine

Downoi

Post by B Considine »

Saw some of this at SCALES a few weeks back and really like the way it looks. Is this plant something suitable for the upcoming nano contest?

Blaise
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Definitely! There are some pictures of Sean's nanocube with downoi in it if you're looking for ideas:

http://www.gwapa.org/articles/march2007/
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Excellent. I'm really getting into this, from a conceptualization standpoint. Execution is another matter.

Any recommendations for a grass-like plant? I've never had any luck with elocharis in my current tank, nor lilaeopsis. I think either my lighting is/was too low or my substrate (regular gravel with laterite) is too large for the roots to get a grip. I am willing to try either of those again.

Man, between my posts and all of Steve's, we're going to tip our hands before the nanos have even arrived!
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

The contest tank will come with ADA's Amazonia, which is excellent for growing either of those grass plants. You're probably right that plain gravel was either too large, or insufficiently nutritious for those plants.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hmmm...I wonder who brought in a bunch of Downoi to SCALES? 8)

I would go with the Eleocharis again. The thinner leaves lend themselves better to the scale of the nano tank I think. Eleocharis parvulus is the specific species you should be looking for. Both that and Eleocharis acicularis are sold as dwarf hairgrass, but the parvulus species stays much shorter.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

Aaron wrote:Hmmm...I wonder who brought in a bunch of Downoi to SCALES? 8)

I would go with the Eleocharis again. The thinner leaves lend themselves better to the scale of the nano tank I think. Eleocharis parvulus is the specific species you should be looking for. Both that and Eleocharis acicularis are sold as dwarf hairgrass, but the parvulus species stays much shorter.
Got any more? Any idea where I might find e. parvulus? I've seen acicularis before, in pots, but not the other.

Do you veterans have any of that rock left? I've always been a driftwood man myself.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I do have more Downoi, though it's growing out again at the moment. I'm sure if you post a want ad in the Flea Market someone can help you out with those plants.

Ghazanfar has the rock stash. GWAPA owns what's left of it and it goes for $0.50 a pound. Not bad considering you'd pay $3 or $4 a lb. for the stuff in the LFS with no character.
snickle

Post by snickle »

I would be interested in some of the rock as well as the plants. I'll keep my plans for the nano contest hidden by over buying plants.
B Considine

Post by B Considine »

snickle wrote:I would be interested in some of the rock as well as the plants. I'll keep my plans for the nano contest hidden by over buying plants.
Clever strategy!

Sponsors