Can't get the balance right

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
Balthamos

Can't get the balance right

Post by Balthamos »

For months I've tried to get the right combination of light, CO2 and fertilizers but I've been totally unsuccessful. My plants in my small tanks (3 G and 12 G) are fading, yellowing, and in some cases being overgrown by algae). I think that part of my problem is the poor lighting in my supermarket Marineland Eclipse tanks and since there's no retrofit available I've decided to go for the gusto and I've invested in a 24 G aquapod with 64W florescent. I could've taken the lighting a step further and chosen MH, but it was more than I could afford. I've also purchased some Amano sand and soil. That's one thing I decided not to cut corners on. Once the tank is set-up, planted and fully cycled I'm going to transfer the fish from my other tanks (that's a total of 9 fish). Of course, my challenge is still going to be the same--how to get the right combination, particularly when it comes to CO2. Right now I can't afford to invest in a CO2 tank setup so I'll continue using the basic plastic canister method. This time around I'm also going to select plants that are better suited to my tank setup instead of taking a package deal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might do a better job this time around so that both my fish and plants flourish? How do I get the proper balance of CO2, light and fertilizer? I've read the books, but I still can't get it right. Also, do you have any suggestions for some attractive plants that will do well in my tank (beyond the plants that customarily come with the package deal)?

Thanks so much.

Mark
Living near the water is almost as good as living in the water!

Sponsors