"mini" bolbitis, regular bolbitis, and bolbitus he

Discuss specific plants, general plant care, help setting up a plant tank, rare plants, and general help
kerokero

"mini" bolbitis, regular bolbitis, and bolbitus he

Post by kerokero »

After seeing a post about the "mini" bolbitis, I'm again intrigued about the variations and species floating around the hobby. I've got the aquarium classic growing like gangbusters and have wanted to try the others, but other than the different species (heteroclita - which seems hard to get since it's not as good underwater) but I'm not really sure of the validity. I'd like to see how some of these grow emersed and if they keep those characteristics.
Best, Corey
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

I've read that there is questions if "mini" bolbitis is not a species variation, but the natural tendency of the plant to grow smaller leaves with higher light and CO2. I'm pretty sure Bolbitis will grow emersed, though slower than under water. I've found it is happiest in high flow areas--I use it to hide the powerhead on Rick's tank.
kerokero

Post by kerokero »

I've had a lot of luck with the bolbitis emersed so far, particularly if their feet are left in water (with or without flow). I left it sitting in shallow water initially to let it grow new leaves, but in the high humidity the plant just lifted it's fronds and it's been happy ever since :)

I guess I was just wondering if there were population variations like what we see with all the java ferns, and what I found on the internet on Bolbitus was the whole range of opinions with no concrete answers. I'm a low tech person, so I guess I won't be growing any "mini" unless I grow young ones :roll:
Best, Corey

Sponsors