New tank pics!!

Show us your pictures!
gills

New tank pics!!

Post by gills »

Here is a picture of my new tank. If I remember correctly is is 2 -3 weeks old. It is a 50 gal. tank. I have some rainbow fish, tetras, shrimp, and ottos in the tank. I did a water change a couple nights ago and one of my tetras is struggling. Not sure why.

I have a lot of rooting taking place on a few of the stem plants. I was reading on another post that this may be due to lack of nutrients...plants trying to get more from substrate. True? I added some Flourish?, Iron, and Excel since then. I haven't been routine with the suppliments.

I do have a bit of an issue on the left side of the tank where the arm of the wood hangs out to the left...blocking some light to the plants below. Any suggestions for a lower light plant to put there. The ground cover, not sure of name, is doing great there, but the plants I had there I lost. They were the same as the stem plants on the right back (From one of Aarons sales at the auction - red on top leaves/green on others) They are doing great on the right side of the tank...so I think it is the lighting. The delicate fern looking plant is doing well there also.

Any thoughts. (besides getting rid of my large bog wood? =) I don't want to do that. )

I also am planning on changing the way the gravel is set up between the white and brown. As many of you mentioned is is difficult to keep them separate. A few of you mentioned placing small rocks with moss on them along the dividing line...I may try that.

Susan
Attachments
susanstank_desktopgwapa.jpg
susanstank_desktopgwapa.jpg (170.12 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
dmartin72

Post by dmartin72 »

I love it...it will look a lot better when things start fill out! I especially like the way the driftwood makes a cave.
Sincerely,

David Martin
Mid-Atlantic Dendro Club
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Looks like you have a nice start there Susan. Most people who set up their first planted do not grow plants that nicely so you're doing very well so far. :)

By lots of rooting do you mean roots forming on the sides of the stems? If so, that is perfectly normal and yes the plants are obtained nutrients from the water column.

Any Anubias species would do well in those shaded areas and they work well as midground plants. Anubias barteri var. 'nana' is a very popular one to use. I'm sure someone could bring some to auction if you request it.

If you want to be lazy about dosing fertilizers Eheim makes an automatic doser called the Liquidoser. Ghazanfar uses them so maybe he can help you out more with that.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Nice job with the glosso. Best ever for a first timer I'll wager.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

Looks good, just wait until it fills in now

Where did you get that driftwood? Nice
Jeff U.

Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

Looking pretty good! Give us an updated pic in a few weeks...

I don't think theres ever been a beginner thats got so many rare
plants in their tank.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:Looking pretty good! Give us an updated pic in a few weeks...

plants in their tank.
Hehe...we'll have Susan speaking Latin before too long. :wink:
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:Looking pretty good! Give us an updated pic in a few weeks...

plants in their tank.
What about Aaron? :wink:
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
gills

Post by gills »

Thanks for all the feedback! I will take some more pics in a couple weeks. Thanks to all of you, I was able to get all the unique plants!

I got the driftwood at Fins and Feathers in Ashburn. Most of what they have left are the larger sizes.
gills

Post by gills »

I am having the problem with my (I apoligise for not knowing the name!) reddish plants that the leaves are curling...they are thriving, but with curled leaves...Anyone know what causes this? (One is in the center and the other the far right). Thoughts?

I also lost one of my Rainbow fish last night. Not sure why. All the other fish look and are acting very healthy. I did a few clippings the night before and tried scrubbing a bit of algae off the bog wood with a brand new toothbrush...nothing major. But obviously it caused something bad. :( The fish looked as thought it was bleeding internally under his gill. There was a bright red dot. Any thoughts here?

The tank currently has a slight haze in it. Nothing more than the water shown above though. Doesn't look bad. Plants are doing great, exept for the curling.

Thanks in advance,
susan

Sponsors