Aquascaping ACA display tanks Wednesday, July 20th

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
chris_todd

Aquascaping ACA display tanks Wednesday, July 20th

Post by chris_todd »

GWAPA has been offered the exciting opportunity to show off our mad aquascaping skillz at the 2011 American Cichlid Association Convention in Silver Spring!

We will be provided with two wonderful cube aquariums from Marineland (a 29g and a 60g), along with lights, filtration, stand, etc. Plants are from Florida Aquatic Nurseries, substrate from CaribSea, as well as manzanita and rocks from a few generous GWAPA members. So our canvas and all our paints are being provided for free!

What we need are a few artists to come down to the convention hotel Wednesday afternoon/evening to have some fun, hang out with your GWAPA peeps, and 'scape a display tank. You do not have to be registered for the convention to come help us aquascape the tank. It will be lots of fun, and everyone who attends the ACA convention will be shocked and amazed at the beauty plants can bring to a cichlid aquarium! :D

Reply to this post if you'd like to help out, and let us know when you plan on being there.

The exact starting time will depend on numerous factors, including how quickly the tanks get setup, but at the moment, we are targeting Wednesday evening for the activities (say, 7 pm-ish?). I and a few others will be there during the day, so if there will be a delay, I'll try to post an update here. Look for me or Jen or other GWAPA members when you arrive at the hotel.

The convention hotel is:
Crowne Plaza Washington DC–Silver Spring
8777 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
www.cpdcsilverspring.com
(800) 972-3159

Parking at the hotel can be a little pricey ($12 I think?), but apparently there's a public lot behind the hotel that is cheaper.

And if you're in the mood to help with other ACA convention setup tasks, things will be starting in earnest Tuesday afternoon when the tanks are delivered from UPG. See this thread on the CCA forum if you can help out Tuesday afternoon/evening or Wednesday during the day:
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/s ... hp?t=10422
Ltrepeter2000

Post by Ltrepeter2000 »

Chris

Have they provided a list of the plants that are being shipped in from Florida? I should be able to be there for this.

Thanks
Rob
Robert Peterson
"Mr. Sarcastic"

The work will wait while you show a child a rainbow,
but the rainbow wont wait while you do the work

-Unknown-
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Ltrepeter2000 wrote:Chris

Have they provided a list of the plants that are being shipped in from Florida? I should be able to be there for this.

Thanks
Rob
Nope, it's going to be a complete surprise! How exciting is that! :D

Same deal on the fish, since they're being donated by Florida Fish Farmers.

It'll be like Christmas! Woo-Hoo! :lol:

We do know we're supposed to be getting 100 lbs of Eco-complete and 100 lbs of Crystal River sand from Carib Sea, and about 25 pieces of manzanita. Bill Barbito might have some left over malaysian driftwood, or we might be able to trade him some manzanita for some malaysian, we'll see.
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

I'll be there with rocks (not wearing them of course)!

Looking forward to learning on how the aquascaping pros do it!!!

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
DonkeyFish

Post by DonkeyFish »

I will be there...with a bucket o' rocks!
It is not murder if you're killing snails.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

I am going to try to be there to watch and learn.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I'll be there. I've got a good amount of Trident Java Fern and Hygrophila pinnatifida to use if needed.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Kris, we should know what plants we have later today when they arrive, but there will be a big box from FAN, from what I understand.

It is not clear to me whether the display tanks will be ready to go by this evening. I was there last night, and while an amazing amount of work was done to get things setup, there's still a ton of stuff to do.

I'll try to provide an update later today.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

The small cube tank will be on the fourth floor, just outside the show room (lots of traffic!).

The larger cube location has not been decided yet, but may be on the first floor. Either way, they should be ready or close to ready for scaping tonight after dinner n
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Great, thanks Chris! I'm hoping to show up between 5:00-6:00...

Sponsors