Proposed: Local Collecting Trip for Collecting Neophytes

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
Sonny Disposition

Post by Sonny Disposition »

Sorry, all. I've been sidelined by a bad cold and haven't been paying too much attention. I'm missing the PVAS meeting today, but hope to make the CCA meeting next Saturday. I'll see how things shake out, but I'll try to set up something local in Virginia for next Sunday, if I can. How's that.

I went to Sycolin Creek years ago. Is anyone familiar with the area?

You would need a Virginia fishing license. Not to mention boots and waders.
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
Sonny Disposition

OK, folks. I e-mailed my three NANFA contacts in Virginia, and asked them to suggest some places that are fairly close in, for a Sunday trip.
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
Spine

Post by Spine »

I would like to tag along.
Kevin
marydotson

Post by marydotson »

Thanks Bob! We missed you today at PVAS!
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Wait -- are we talking about fish or plant collecting? I'm really just interested in plant collecting right now.
Sonny Disposition

Fish collecting. I know that plants are green, and most contain chloroplasts. Some grow above water, some below. Some grow right around the water line. But I don't know much else about them, particularly where to find them. Fish are another matter.
Bob

marydotson

Post by marydotson »

Somehow this discussion got split into multiple threads...

From what I see, it's Saturday 10/10 at a location in Md starting at 10 (so the CCA folk can make the meeting). If you want to gather fish, you must get a permit (https://www4.wildlifelicense.com/md/).

I'll repeat this on the other thread, as well. Kris--can you post or pm us where to meet?
Sonny Disposition

A clarification, Mary:

You don't need a permit. You need a Virginia fishing license.

When I lead trips to Maryland, I'm usually get a scientific collection permit, which involves considerably more documentation, both before and after the trip, on my part, than a license does.

For this trip, if we each have a Virginia license, we should be covered under the bait collecting provisions of the license.

Sorry about the multiple threads. There were a couple of options to present, and it seemed like too much for one post.
Bob

krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

OK, since the interest wasn't there for fish collecting, let's try and scrap together a quick plant collecting trip for Saturday @ 10:00am between Cloverly and Scagsville, MD... I'll post a new thread so there's no confusion.

http://gwapa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3448

Sponsors