Help choosing a light for a 75g

Lighting, filtration etc

Help choosing a light for a 75g

Postby londonloco » Wed May 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Been away from planted tanks for a few years now, itching to get back in. I have a 75g Tangy tank I'm going to move fish around, and reboot it as a high tech planted tank. I can reuse the two Eheim 2215's (classic filter), the heaters, and I have some old black 3M color quartz and Fluorite I've kept in buckets for substrate. Plan on buying a GLA GRO-1 CO2 Regulator, trying to find two 5 or 10lb tanks used, or buy them from Roberts, prob go PPS Pro (have had success there). Right now the 75 has a Satellite Pro on it for lighting... I'm thinking that's not enough light. This hobby changes so quickly, I need help in deciding which light. I've been on the boards, reading, a lot....I'm torn between the Radion Pro Series (quality yes, but mega bucks, like really EcoTech?) or the reasonably priced Finnex 24/7 (I've read quality is lacking, goes out w/in a year or two...etc). Thoughts everyone?
londonloco

Re: Help choosing a light for a 75g

Postby krisw » Thu May 03, 2018 8:08 am

Welcome back Loni! It sounds like you've already narrowed the lights done to two good ones, and have listed the tradeoffs. For EcoTech, you're getting really nice lights, but paying 2-3X the price of the Finnex. The Finnex quality and longevity is not so good, but you could spread out the same cost of the Radions over a few years if they burn out. Either should grow plants. IMO, the Radions produce nicer light, but there's a cost to that.
krisw
Site Admin

Postby londonloco » Thu May 03, 2018 8:31 am

I'd need two radions, plus the hanging kits, plus the reeflink...totals 6x the cost of a Finnex 24/7....... I've never owned anything Radion, always went with chinese knock offs which have served my tanks well. On the other hand, the Radion's are realllyyyyyy nice, the reeflink does really cool stuff! A lot to consider.....Thanks Kris.
londonloco

Postby FishEggs » Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 am

Im still using t5ho so cant help ya there.
FishEggs

Return to Equipment