January Meeting

News & upcoming events
SCMurphy
Site Admin

January Meeting

Post by SCMurphy »

To the membership,

I was asked to give a talk about emersed growth setups. I have to assume that someone had some questions about these setups for the Board to ask me to give a talk about it the same month they want a talk. So I have to ask for a little help, please PM questions you have to me to help me construct the talk. The more questions you have the better I can make the talk in time I have. After the talk I'll put together a list of the questions and the answers I have (if any) and post it here (and in the meeting summary) for later reference.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
FishEggs

Re: January Meeting

Post by FishEggs »

My first question is what is the address of the meeting location for January?

Does emersed growing work for any aquatic plant? if not is there a way to tell if it won't work other than just trying to do it?
Why does the plant change form and sometimes look completely different emersed?
halak

Post by halak »

The meeting will be in Laurel, at Cristy's. Directions will be posted shortly.
Viktor
halak

Post by halak »

If you have not paid your membership dues for 2019, please be prepared to do it at the meeting. You may also paypal; here is the link:

http://gwapa.org/wordpress/join/
Viktor
whitneyturk

Post by whitneyturk »

I'm super interested in emersed growth setups and was really sad I couldn't make it to the paludarium talk after it got moved. I'm interested in transitional growth out of the water, fully emergent plants and how their needs differ, whether it's possible to keep mold and fungus down effectively without springtails and isopods, what kinds of plants might thrive under those circumstances, how to grow emergent or partially emergent plants in, say, a jar, whether it's best to maintain 100% or near 100% humidity and how to do that aesthetically, whether and how to change ferts, and suggestions for low-tech submersed plants that are also very pretty emersed and high-tech plants that are otherwise unavailable to those who don't run co2. I'm curious about whether a deep water culture, constant flow, or ebb and flow systems are more effective for the kinds of plants aquarists would be most interested in growing and how to duplicate some of those systems in a way that is scaped rather than designed for efficiency. I'd like to hear about common pitfalls and failed experiments. A lot of people had trouble with their wabi-kusas, so maybe examining what went wrong there would be helpful.

I don't know if you can extract anything interesting from that stream of consciousness. Excited to hear whatever you decide to talk about.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

What's everyone bringing to the meeting?

I am looking for a few plants for my BFD aquascape and some natives for a tank at work. Looking for HC, H. Tripartida, hornwort, L. Palustris and L. Repens.

I will be bringing some java ferns, buce and a few stems.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I'll be making 7-layer dip, meatballs, and garlic bread and I have sodas, tea and coffee. Anyone is welcome to bring other dishes or desserts.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Nick, I have some 40 inch long Sagittaria subulata if that would be of interest to you. Other than that, not much excess at the moment. It will probable get shorter once planted as it only gets that tall when its crowded. Also I think it has a definite growing season when it gets feisty
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I have some L. repens (I think).
halak

Post by halak »

If someone wants something from the GWAPA stock, such as the new lights we got in November, please let me know, and I'll bring it with me. Here is the link to them:

http://www.gwapa.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=40
Viktor

Sponsors