Hello from a former member.

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
PaulS

Hello from a former member.

Post by PaulS »

Hello. My name is Paul and I’m a former GWAPA member from several years ago. If you don’t want to read this entire post, please feel free to skip the first two paragraphs.

Some of you may remember me. I’m happy to see several names I recognize; Kris, Sean, Viktor, Christy, Jen, Jim, Ghanzafar, to name a few. When I was in GWAPA, I had five tanks ranging from 10g to 90g, and like some of you, I spent an absurd amount of money on them. I enjoyed it very much but my interests changed when I got the motorcycle I had always wanted. I joined a motorcycle riding club and soon after, sold off all my tanks and equipment. I’ve had a lot of fun with it over the past several years, riding thousands of miles throughout the nearby states and, as with GWAPA, I met many fine people along the way. Sadly, after a few recent close calls - and pants changes - I decided the time had come to hang up my helmet, sell the bike, and find something less dangerous.

Recently, I picked a 5.5g for a little nano tank. I started with just a cheap starter kit for 20 bucks from Petsmart, a bag of Eco-Complete, and heater. It quickly became apparent that I needed a better light so I replaced the crappy plastic hood with a new glass lid and an inexpensive - but very bright - LED strip. Then some manzanita wood from eBay. Now, it’s CO2. I can’t spend the big bucks on a GLA regulator so I’m considering an AquaTek ‘Premium’ regulator from eBay (includes the solenoid, bubble counter, and pin valve). For now, I'm getting an adapter to fit a paintball CO2 tank until I find a cheap 5lb tank somewhere. I'm also getting CO2 hose, diffuser, ferts, aqua-scaping tools, and a few other miscellaneous items. And, of course plants!

I would like to buy some nice some small plants such as Dwarf Baby Tears or Dwarf Hair grass. small Crypts, or perhaps other nice plants well suited for a nano. Eventually, I'll add a few cherry shrimp after the tank is established. If you have any of these plants to sell, please let me know and I’ll try to make the next meeting to buy them. Thanks and perhaps I'll see you again soon.
Paul
halak

Re: Hello from a former member.

Post by halak »

Welcome back, Paul!
Viktor
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Glad to have you back, Paul! I just replanted several tanks, so I don't know what I'll have plant-wise before the meeting, but send me a PM when we get closer, and I'll see what I can pull.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

Welcome back, Paul!
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

This is what I have so far. As you can see I have not done anything yet but I'm pretty excited about getting it set up and planted. Maybe I'll bring it to the meeting if that's ok.
IMG_0926.JPG
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

BTW, has anyone tried growing Lysimachia nummularia (aka Creeping Jenny)? I've had it growing in my garden for years and never knew it can also be an aquatic plant. A few weeks ago, I plucked a stem and put in my tiny desktop tank and its seems to be doing fine and it looks nice too. If I make it to the Sep meeting, I'll bring some along for anyone who wants it.
IMG_0927.JPG
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Looks like a nice setup. Yes, Lysimachia grows just fine in the aquarium. You can find it around the area too, growing both in and out of the water.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

I have what was called creeping Charlie, when I got it, which looks similar if my memory is correct.

Sponsors