Light for a 3g betta tank

Lighting, filtration etc
londonloco

Light for a 3g betta tank

Post by londonloco »

I ended up giving all three of my 4g betta cube set ups to my grand kids...none of my own kids got the "fish bug", but I'm def seeing signs of my grand kids getting interested (they are 3, 5 and 7 yo). I miss my little betta tanks, so today I ordered a Mr Aqua 3g from BRS , I have a AC20 for it, but need a light. Aquatop used to make a nice, small, rbg clip on light, but sadly, it's not on their website any longer. I've searched for literally hours today, but can't find a light, all come with just blue and white, or pink. Anyone have any suggestions. This tank will house one betta, with a few low low light plants, anubias and java fern most likely. Thanks all!
John G

Re: Light for a 3g betta tank

Post by John G »

What are the tank dimensions?
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

11.8" x 7.0" x 8.3" (LxWxH)
John G

Post by John G »

Unfortunately the light I would have been happy to give you is a few inches too big for your tank.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Finnex makes a decent clip on that's RGB and meant for plants. They also make one that's just meant for lighting/color (I think fugeray and stingray). The Aquatop I had failed after about a year, even though I rarely used it. I was not impressed.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

For a nano tank with low light plants you can use a desk lamp.
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

John G wrote:Unfortunately the light I would have been happy to give you is a few inches too big for your tank.
Wow, thanks for the thought, that was so nice!
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

Becca wrote:Finnex makes a decent clip on that's RGB and meant for plants. They also make one that's just meant for lighting/color (I think fugeray and stingray). The Aquatop I had failed after about a year, even though I rarely used it. I was not impressed.
I saw the Finnex planted+ and the stingray, I thought this was a lot of light for a betta tank. I am considering the Finnex planted+ for my 45F shrimp tank, the Archaea LED fixture I bought back in 2011 is starting to lose LED's.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the Aquatop failing after a year, since 2013, I've purchased 4 of them, and did have 1 crap out on me, but the other three are still fine. Never can tell with these chinese knock offs......
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

Cristy Keister wrote:For a nano tank with low light plants you can use a desk lamp.
This is probably what I'm going with, I still have one "day light" bulb in my "fish stash", the light is not so bright for a betta, and will grow the few low light plants I'll keep....I'm sure I can find a small clip on desk lamp at Wally World, or one of the big box hardware stores. Thanks Cristy!
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

I have the finnex clip and it works wells but yes it may be too much light for a better. At the same time I bought the finnex, I bought a cheap knockoff as well from Amazon. It was right about $10 and it puts out about half of what the finnex puts out which is to say that it might be good for you. I can't remember the brand but I think the same light was sold by many sellers under multiple names.

Sponsors