Fish suggestion

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Tim_Koles

Fish suggestion

Post by Tim_Koles »

Hi all

I have a small hex tank, 2.5 gallons that I am looking to add some fish too. I set it up as a shrimp tank but it keep killing off the shrimp. Its ambient temperature to the house and we keep it hotter during the summer so the tank gets hotter than 80 degrees with the light and top on. Im pretty sure thats what did the shrimp in. Current setup has a single led bulb, a top and no filter but I've gone ahead and bought a clip on light to increase the light and remove the top and I have two mini filters I'm going to try. The tank has an old style Flourite substrate with wood, java moss and Drepanocladus aduncus or Kneiff's Hook-moss. Looking for some tiny, mellow inhabitants that can withstand the range of temperatures from around 65 to 85. No nitrates, no nitrites, ph 7, KH about 60 ppm, GH about 75 ppm. Suggestions?

Tim
Tim_Koles

Re: Fish suggestion

Post by Tim_Koles »

Anybody know anything about Micro Cyprinids such as Boraras brigittae or others?

Tim
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

I have them in my shrimp tank, which is 30 gallons. My guess is they prefer more constant water parameters and temperatures.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Linus_Cello wrote:I have them in my shrimp tank, which is 30 gallons. My guess is they prefer more constant water parameters and temperatures.
Linus is right, they're fairly sensitive in that regard. They can tolerate a wide range of temperatures, but need water movement and don't enjoy large temperature swings. A 2.5 gallon with no filtration that gets up to 80 degrees is going to to lead to low O2 content (warmer water can't hold as much oxygen and still water doesn't lend itself to incorporating oxygen). Overnight, the plants will also consume O2 - you may also have wide pH swings morning to night, although you might not realize it. Commercially bred bettas tend to withstand a degree of abuse, and you might be able to get away with some sort of very small cory cat because they can take air from the surface, but maybe you'd be better off with something like gammarus shrimp that live in standing water/puddles.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

I got the mini filters the other day and I must say that the mini power filter is nice. I was worried about the water force coming out would be too much but when its turned down all the way its just right. So the tank does have a filter now and water movement. I agree that the warmer temps and plant use could be killing the O2 levels and swinging the pH. Wish I had my old testing equipment. With the new filter, open tank, and agitation, hopefully the summer warmth can be mitigated some. Im thinking about a small heater for the winter but all I have seen so far are ones that only have a set temp and no adjustment. Maybe these changes will make it more appealing. Pygmy corys were a thought but the old Flourite pieces are murder on their barbels so no go there. Have to be something other than scuds.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Tim_Koles wrote:I got the mini filters the other day and I must say that the mini power filter is nice. I was worried about the water force coming out would be too much but when its turned down all the way its just right. So the tank does have a filter now and water movement. I agree that the warmer temps and plant use could be killing the O2 levels and swinging the pH. Wish I had my old testing equipment. With the new filter, open tank, and agitation, hopefully the summer warmth can be mitigated some. Im thinking about a small heater for the winter but all I have seen so far are ones that only have a set temp and no adjustment. Maybe these changes will make it more appealing. Pygmy corys were a thought but the old Flourite pieces are murder on their barbels so no go there. Have to be something other than scuds.
Have you tried Malawa shrimp? They're not all that pretty,but they're quite active and take abuse. They do supposedly like cool water, but I have some living in my discus tank and another tank I keep pretty warm. They also supposedly like slightly hard/alkaline water, but I have hundreds in a tank that's 100% rain water.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

I have not tried them but they might be good. I was thinking I might be able to try the red cherry shrimp in there. They tolerate a wide range and with the cooling of the water movement and no top they might work. The blues did fine until the summer and I have had some reds in the big tank which has consistently been warmer than it should. Might have to get some from you at the Christmas party
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Tim_Koles wrote:I have not tried them but they might be good. I was thinking I might be able to try the red cherry shrimp in there. They tolerate a wide range and with the cooling of the water movement and no top they might work. The blues did fine until the summer and I have had some reds in the big tank which has consistently been warmer than it should. Might have to get some from you at the Christmas party
Wait - what shrimp did you try in there?

RCS are pretty tolerant. I've had them reproduce in a vase in my office.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

I had the Blue shrimp from Nick in there. I know the reds are more tolerant but I did not want to try them. Now that I have the filter I think it may be worth a shot. The blues did great until the summer and they produces several broods in there while they were happy
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Tim_Koles wrote:I had the Blue shrimp from Nick in there. I know the reds are more tolerant but I did not want to try them. Now that I have the filter I think it may be worth a shot. The blues did great until the summer and they produces several broods in there while they were happy
Yeah, I've found the blues to be a bit less tolerant, too. I don't think they liked the cool-warm swings the past month or two in my 6-gallon edge, either. I've thrown the ones I have into 2 separate tanks with my bee/tiger types in the fish room and they seem to be thriving in those conditions - go figure.

Sponsors