CO2 regulator and reactor of choice.

Lighting, filtration etc
aravind90chan

CO2 regulator and reactor of choice.

Post by aravind90chan »

Hi,
I am new to aquascaping and would like to know the quality brands (that are not too expensive) that sell CO2 regulators and reactors.
Wobblebonk

Re: CO2 regulator and reactor of choice.

Post by Wobblebonk »

http://nilocg.com
I like his mini regulator, and would use his reactors if not diy, though I've mostly been using inline diffusers lately, also have 1 of the lesser model of https://co2art.eu regulator
I suppose plenty of people are fine with the cheap ones with a set psi or keg regulators but I don't personally use one...

In my opinion greenleafaquariums.com regulators are really expensive, and for those prices I would sooner get a custom job / put one together from parts...
If your tank is big enough I would consider a RMA-151-SSV / RMA-150-SSV if it's real big , or ph monitor... counting bubbles per second on a large tank is silly.
aravind90chan

Post by aravind90chan »

Thanks a lot. That really helps.
Judi

Post by Judi »

I've heard good things about the Green Leaf Aquariums regulators, but have no personal experience with them.

I've been pretty happy with a couple of cheap regulators. My Milwaukee has been working fine for about 10 years now. My experience may not be typical --I have heard reports of "end of tank dump" with the Milwaukee. I also have an Azoo that is maybe 6-8 years old (but has not been in constant use during that time). Its needle valve is a little harder to adjust, but that hasn't been a big problem, it just took some getting used to.

In one tank, I use a glass diffuser (can't remember if I got it from GLA, or on Amazon or ebay), in the other I just run the co2 line into the canister filter intake.
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

I'm sure their regulators work just fine... but so do much cheaper ones, the part I would spend money on is the metering valve/needle or possibly even a ph monitor instead, which would still be cheaper. I personally think the co2art 250$ model is too much just for a fancy looking manifold, the GLA equivalent is more expensive and the manifolds are more expensive... as you say a much cheaper milwaulkee or azoo works just fine. I've never personally experienced an end of tank dump, I think actually experiencing one is atypical, though I just go ahead and use a dual stage regulator if my livestock is expensive just to be safe. The GLA isn't even dual stage till the $275 model and 20$ for a led indicator on the solenoid is outright highway robbery.

I can't even really imagine someone having a wildly different qualitative difference from using a "better" regulator (besides maybe if they keep killing things with EOTD, which hasn't ever happened to me anyhow) it's basically how easy are fine adjustments and how well does the valve hold a setting to me, which is really the valve/needle and not the regulator... there's not really a problem with running a shitty needle "open" into a nicer one or a flow meter either. Like my hand built concoa/swagelok/parker regulator isn't vastly better than my nilocg mini regulator it just looks pretty and would be better for beating someone to death with. The needle valve is better but I use a RMA-151-SSV on the nilocg anyhow and the nilocg valve I personally find to be better than most of the cheap regulator valves.
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

incidentally liveaquaria(petco) is clearing out old foster&smith stock the azoo regulator is on clearance :/ https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/423 ... +6780+4237
also https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/424 ... +6780+4242
Judi

Post by Judi »

Wow! I would totally snap one of those up if i was in the market for a new regulator right now.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

Wow, 40 bucks and free shipping. Anyone looking to get their feet wet with co2 should jump on this deal.

Sponsors