Help choosing a light for a 75g

Lighting, filtration etc
londonloco

Help choosing a light for a 75g

Post by londonloco »

Been away from planted tanks for a few years now, itching to get back in. I have a 75g Tangy tank I'm going to move fish around, and reboot it as a high tech planted tank. I can reuse the two Eheim 2215's (classic filter), the heaters, and I have some old black 3M color quartz and Fluorite I've kept in buckets for substrate. Plan on buying a GLA GRO-1 CO2 Regulator, trying to find two 5 or 10lb tanks used, or buy them from Roberts, prob go PPS Pro (have had success there). Right now the 75 has a Satellite Pro on it for lighting... I'm thinking that's not enough light. This hobby changes so quickly, I need help in deciding which light. I've been on the boards, reading, a lot....I'm torn between the Radion Pro Series (quality yes, but mega bucks, like really EcoTech?) or the reasonably priced Finnex 24/7 (I've read quality is lacking, goes out w/in a year or two...etc). Thoughts everyone?
krisw
Site Admin

Re: Help choosing a light for a 75g

Post by krisw »

Welcome back Loni! It sounds like you've already narrowed the lights done to two good ones, and have listed the tradeoffs. For EcoTech, you're getting really nice lights, but paying 2-3X the price of the Finnex. The Finnex quality and longevity is not so good, but you could spread out the same cost of the Radions over a few years if they burn out. Either should grow plants. IMO, the Radions produce nicer light, but there's a cost to that.
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

I'd need two radions, plus the hanging kits, plus the reeflink...totals 6x the cost of a Finnex 24/7....... I've never owned anything Radion, always went with chinese knock offs which have served my tanks well. On the other hand, the Radion's are realllyyyyyy nice, the reeflink does really cool stuff! A lot to consider.....Thanks Kris.
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

Im still using t5ho so cant help ya there.
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

Went with two XR15 freshwater, bought 5/22 set up today...sigh....time these days is a factor!
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

That's great, Loni! Let us know how you like them
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Stay the hell away from the Finnex...
WET Aquaria

Post by WET Aquaria »

I have owned a 5 or so finnex and only have 2 bar left. The finnex clipons are sturdy, however the bars.... 3 died due to humidity and condensation building up inside the lense casing. The only ones that survived had lids on the tank to minimize humidity in the room. I have switched over most to the Fluval fresh and planted 2.0 (there are 3.0 now) and am much happier. The 2.0 cannot be color changed, but they are sturdier and waterproof. I would love Radions or AI Primes, but with all my projects, I don't have the cash to switch them all over.
londonloco

Post by londonloco »

krisw wrote:That's great, Loni! Let us know how you like them
Thanks Krisw, I might just hit you up for settings help! I bought the xr15's for my reef, once I put them on, I instantly knew I was hooked.
Becca wrote:Stay the hell away from the Finnex...
I hear ya!
WET Aquaria wrote:I have owned a 5 or so finnex and only have 2 bar left. The finnex clipons are sturdy, however the bars.... 3 died due to humidity and condensation building up inside the lense casing. The only ones that survived had lids on the tank to minimize humidity in the room. I have switched over most to the Fluval fresh and planted 2.0 (there are 3.0 now) and am much happier. The 2.0 cannot be color changed, but they are sturdier and waterproof. I would love Radions or AI Primes, but with all my projects, I don't have the cash to switch them all over.
I've owned several of the Current Satellites for years now, both pro and pro+'s, have dropped them in my tanks countless times over the years...always turn right on after I wipe them off. If your looking for low light fixtures, I would recommend them every time.
Becca
GWAPA Member

Post by Becca »

Yeah, I love the Pro and Pro plus from Current. I've had some success replacing power sources on Finnex lights, but their power sources don't last and it's not worth buying their proprietary one for $30 plus shipping. It's really only worth replacing them if you're willing/able to re-wire them to another power source.

Current is also really awesome about standing by their warranty if you buy from a licensed dealer.

Sponsors