Help choosing a light for a 75g

Lighting, filtration etc
halak

Re: Help choosing a light for a 75g

Post by halak »

I like Finnexes in general. When two of mine sort of died, I just had the power sources replaced with a commercial one (cost $7.50). The other time a Finnex died on me was only after a few weeks of it being used, so I just got a free replacement. So, so far I have been rather happy with them. I do keep them on top of covered tanks, however.
Viktor
Wobblebonk

Post by Wobblebonk »

Pretty much all the leds leaning towards the cheaper side of things cut corners in the power supply (including the e26/e27 "bulbs", & floodlights.) That tends to be the part that fails long before the others, besides maybe with internal condensation/dropping them in water. It would be nice if they used a more standard connector for their psu, and I do find the 180 day warranty concerning. Even beamsworks have 1 year I think? But they are at a decent price point if you are comfortable replacing the power supply later on with a different model, even if you go the other way instead of the cheapest replacement an appropriate meanwell with 5-7 year warranty is cheaper than the official one.
I think right now the fluval 3.0 has probably the best set of features / warranty etc in the $150 (48") price range, with the seemingly neverending 15% off fluval lights "fluval" coupon code at kens fish. Oddly the coupon code also applies to all northfin fish food. I just wish the 3.0 could remember the time through a power outage.
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

@ Viktor, what power supply did you use to fix your finnex lights. Gabriel gave me a 4' finnex (Ray I think) to fix for him but he, like Becca, didn't want to pay for expensive power supply replacement. $7.50 is a nice price.
halak

Post by halak »

I'll have to ask my friend who did. It happened to my fixtures that are on top of my tank which is in Hungary, so I was not there when they got fixed. I'll ask him.
Viktor
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

Thanks Viktor, it would be great if I could give Gabriel back a working light.
halak

Post by halak »

Just make sure you charge him a lot. I doubt he reads the forum much nowadays. :D
Viktor
halak

Post by halak »

So my friend got the power supply used and in a store where used computer and other electric parts are sold. He got a used laptop power supply. He just checked the voltage and wattage. I'm not sure there are places like that in the U.S.
Viktor
FishEggs

Post by FishEggs »

I have seen some at thrift stores before. You can get them pretty cheap off amazon. Let me know what voltage and amps it is and I can see what I got hanging around.
scientist0724

Post by scientist0724 »

halak wrote:So my friend got the power supply used and in a store where used computer and other electric parts are sold. He got a used laptop power supply. He just checked the voltage and wattage. I'm not sure there are places like that in the U.S.
You can find a pile of these at Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. I was actually thinking of picking up a few of these last week as one of my lights was faulty, but my husband had a small pile of them at home and fixed my cord.

Arlene
There are no happy endings.
Endings are the saddest part.
So just give me a happy middle
And a very happy start.
-Shel Silverstein
GOT MTS?

Post by GOT MTS? »

The old power supply indicates that it is 15v and 36 watts. Using a calculator that comes out to 2.4A

Sponsors