SunSun HW-703B

Lighting, filtration etc
Mopar32985

SunSun HW-703B

Post by Mopar32985 »

So i decided to take a chance on this SunSun HW-703B. I have a friend that has been running one for almost a year and us very happy with it so i hope it works well for me. Has a built in uv sterilozer which i dont plane on using, but has a few other cool features. It had a fairly large spray bar and also a surface skimmer buil in on the intake. My question to you guys is what ki d of media are you guys running in you canister filters. What king of bio media do you guys like. I was thi king of just runni g mechanical filters on the bottom two trays and maybe lava rock or dragon glass on the top two. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you guys woukd like to seem some picks of it let me know.

-Chance-

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
halak

Re: SunSun HW-703B

Post by halak »

I use ceramic rings and Eheim bio filter media besides the sponges in my canisters. I even put some bio filter balls behind my Poret filter sponges.
Viktor
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Also, Seachem Purigen is fantastic. I have a whole collection of Purigen bags that I rotate in and out of my filters, recharging them with common bleach. They tend to take 2-3 recharges before I toss them. Noticeable difference in water clarity and reduction of BBA when using Purigen. OrganiT from Brightwell is similar, but I find it's easier to recharge with bleach than mixing a salt bath that you need for Organit. Just personal preference.
Mopar32985

Post by Mopar32985 »

Thanks guys appreciate the responses now time to order some goodies

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
sns26

Post by sns26 »

krisw wrote:Also, Seachem Purigen is fantastic. I have a whole collection of Purigen bags that I rotate in and out of my filters, recharging them with common bleach. They tend to take 2-3 recharges before I toss them.
Kris, I tried Purigen once but couldn't figure out how best to use it. Do you just toss a bag into a canister filter any old way, or do you try to create a layer of purigen to make sure there's no bypass? And how much do you use? At $50/liter and only 2-3 recharges it seems like it could get spendy fast.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I buy the Purigen already in the pouches so I don't have to mess with the bags. I just use one per filter -- some larger tanks I have two filters. A pouch is $8 on Amazon.
sns26

Post by sns26 »

How long do you use the pouches before you recharge? Or you just do it whenever you see that they are discoloring?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

When I see them discoloring...

Sponsors