Whiskey Barrel setup

Lighting, filtration etc
tomterp80

Whiskey Barrel setup

Post by tomterp80 »

I bought a fairly experienced half whiskey barrel at Betty's Azalea Ranch yesterday. As expected, it is leaking such that I can maintain the water level at about the half-way point.

I want to set this up with a variety of plants plus perhaps tiger or rosy barbs, for the summer. Does anyone have experience with how to approach stopping leaks?

So far, I am just refilling repeatedly in hopes the soakings will cause the boards to swell enough. Aesthetically, I would prefer not to use a liner, and I would prefer to get it about 80% full or better.

Any non-toxic sealers that would hold on wood?

Tom Moran
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

You can try epoxy like they use for corals, once it cures it's fairly inert. I think you might have to use it on dry surfaces though.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

If it's anything like the whiskey barrell I got at BJs Wholesale Club it still has tons of soot and a nice whiskey smell to it. I lined mine just to be sure nothing toxic leaks into the water. I used a thick black plastic from the hardware store. It doesn't look bad and it kept endlers and swordtails in it all summer long. I never had to fill it either because it rained enough.
tomterp80

Post by tomterp80 »

When I said my barrel was "fairly experienced", what I really meant was it's old and in a somewhat dilapidated condition, wood is quite aged. This is a long way from being used for whiskey. I bought it cheaply since I didn't know where else to even find them.

It will work, however, using a liner. First I want to try to fill some of the cracks before resorting to the liner.

Sean, the epoxy you mention, might I find this at say SuperPetz in Annandale, or is it more of a mail order type of thing?

At Betty's, they have a liner made expressly for the barrels, though the prices were not in evidence.

Sponsors