Fluval 406 alternative

Lighting, filtration etc
sfarkhan

Re: Fluval 406 alternative

Post by sfarkhan »

krisw wrote:For the G, you're pretty much stuck with their mechanical filtration. Plus side is I haven't had to replace that for over a year on mine with regular cleaning. You can simply remove their chemical filtration blocks and use Purigen or other medium (charcoal bags, etc) in its place. I do use Purigen in mine.

Personally, I always over-filter my tanks, so I'm running a G6 on my 50g tank -- no regrets with that decision. The G3 is rated up to 80g, so that may be fine. Like I said, I like to go above recommended levels...
I'll look at a few reviews on youtube.

1. What size hoses does it use?
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

The Eheim classic and apparently people feel like they're bullet proof. I'll check out the G6 and Cobalt.

Any other filters worth looking at? The cabinet won't take an FX-5/6, haha
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

sfarkhan wrote:
krisw wrote:For the G, you're pretty much stuck with their mechanical filtration. Plus side is I haven't had to replace that for over a year on mine with regular cleaning. You can simply remove their chemical filtration blocks and use Purigen or other medium (charcoal bags, etc) in its place. I do use Purigen in mine.

Personally, I always over-filter my tanks, so I'm running a G6 on my 50g tank -- no regrets with that decision. The G3 is rated up to 80g, so that may be fine. Like I said, I like to go above recommended levels...

I believe they're 5/8" inner diameter hoses...
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

krisw wrote:
sfarkhan wrote:

I believe they're 5/8" inner diameter hoses...
Thanks, that makes it an easy swap - the 406 uses 5/8". I looked into the Eheim Classic 2217 and the output on that is 1/2" - I would have to figure out a way to refit the Hydor inline heater and inline CO2 atomizer because they are both 5/8" or buy a whole new set which would make the 2217 a more expensive retrofit. Their Pro filters use the 5/8" hoses.
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
JLW

Post by JLW »

The Cobalt is the same size hosing as the Fluval -- another easy swap. :)
><>
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

JLW wrote:The Cobalt is the same size hosing as the Fluval -- another easy swap. :)
Thanks, they are really inexpensive filters!
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

One other option, the Penn Plax Cascade canister filter. I got one of these when Scales was in business and it hasn't had a problem yet. I have since bought 3 more and they are all quiet, dependable, and pretty easy to clean. I am surprised not more people use them. The 1000 can be had for less than $80 on sale, right now.
Some aquarium suppliers site said this.
Model 1000 for tanks up to 100 gallons, 265 gph. Heavy-duty external filter delivers powerful mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration for fresh or marine tanks. Extra-large capacity stackable filter medium containers. Three year warranty.
I also use an ADA unit I was given, and a small Hydor that turned out to be bigger than I thought. The ADA it the noisiest, that little Iwaki pump on top is still pretty quiet though. The Hydo is quiet too but much smaller than you are looking for.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
sfarkhan

Post by sfarkhan »

SCMurphy wrote:One other option, the Penn Plax Cascade canister filter. I got one of these when Scales was in business and it hasn't had a problem yet. I have since bought 3 more and they are all quiet, dependable, and pretty easy to clean. I am surprised not more people use them. The 1000 can be had for less than $80 on sale, right now.
Some aquarium suppliers site said this.
Model 1000 for tanks up to 100 gallons, 265 gph. Heavy-duty external filter delivers powerful mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration for fresh or marine tanks. Extra-large capacity stackable filter medium containers. Three-year warranty.
I also use an ADA unit I was given, and a small Hydor that turned out to be bigger than I thought. The ADA it the noisiest, that little Iwaki pump on top is still pretty quiet though. The Hydo is quiet too but much smaller than you are looking for.
Thanks, I'd never really heard of Penn Plax filters. What sized hoses does it use? I saw the 1000 and 1500 on Amazon for $82/$103 respectively, which is pretty cheap.
I investigated the Hydor canister but I haven't seen any reviews on it save the Amazon ones.
The ADA filters are amazing machines, with the all-metal design, but out of my price range. They remind me of a better designed Eheim classic
Shahriar (Shah-ry-are)

Sponsors