Old Aquarium

Lighting, filtration etc
Ben Belton

Old Aquarium

Post by Ben Belton »

I have an old aquarium that I bought but never set up. It is a real Oceanic (before All Glass bought them) 58. It is now about 12 year old and has never seen water. I have heard that the silicon can dry rot over time if you leave them dry for years. Anyone know if this is true? I can set it up and learn the hard way if it leaks, but don't want to find it out after a week of not leaking. I'm sure I will try at some point anyway. Just fishing for thoughts.

Ben
JLW

Re: Old Aquarium

Post by JLW »

Hey Ben,

Yes, the silicon can eventually dry up and cause problems. If the tank was stored well -- out of sunlight, out of weather, indoors, reasonable temperature -- there is very little risk. If it's been subject to big temperature extremes, sunlight, etc., such as in an uninsulated shed that gets to 120 degrees in the summer sun, you're likely to have problems.

A visual inspection of it should be all it takes. If it is still well adhered to the glass, it'll be fine. It probably will not start to leak down the road -- it's either going to leak right away or not at all. As such, you should be okay setting the tank on some newspapers in the basement, filling it up (carefully), and letting it sit for 24-hours.
><>

Sponsors